Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Review of The Date Farm

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terrorists and terrorist activities are still very real. Lara and Uri have it covered.  In this fourth installment of the series by Jack Winnick, The Date Farm, they are on vacation. While enjoying a relaxing time at Lara's parents' farm in Ohio, they are informed of a massacre at a shopping mall, when it was being used for other purposes, in California. They helped investigate this apparent terrorist attack before returning to their idyllic vacation. After a short amount of time, they are called to help federal agents with a problem at the Federal Reserve Bank and Chase Manhattan Bank in New York.

As a result of this terrorist activity, they both end up in the Middle East. After evading their attackers, they decide to pursue those same attackers. The terrorists that they are chasing hold a solid grudge against the governments of Israel and the United States. A lot of the action in this book occurs on a date farm in Iran. There they posed as a worker and his wife, displaced from their home in Afghanistan. It took reading about half of the book before I was able to figure out the significance of the title. The date farm was only mentioned in passing before Lara and Uri arrived there.

This novel is a great example of an adventure story with lots of action. Therefore, I recommend it for lovers of this kind of work.  I would not recommend it for younger teenagers because of the violence portrayed in the narrative. It might be too graphic for some younger readers. There are also a few scenes of romance. These are not graphic and if I am not bothered by them (any romance in books that I read is usually too much) they probably will not bother others.

There is nothing about this novel that I did not like. I only found one error in the entire book and it could have been easily overlooked. As a result, I have concluded that this was professionally edited. I am really interested in stories that contain lots of action and suspense and minimal romance. Due to this, I give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I see no reason to deduct any stars from my rating.

Even though this is a standalone novel, as is every book involving Lara and Uri, it is part of a series. I would recommend reading all of the books in the series. There are details that, while not necessary to the enjoyment of the reading or the plot, add to the overall understanding.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marba.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by marba »

I think I might like this book, but it is probably better to read the prequels before. Thank you for your review! :)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Stories In the Wake of Chaos by Jacob Marley

Post by markodim721 »

The author's excellent knowledge of the geopolitics of the Middle East as well as the superbly designed characters Lara and Uri are the main qualities of the book.
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: Blesscipes by Jeanne Marie

Post by Hhannahh »

I've read the intros of several of Jack Winnick's books, and I agree with you that they are not for younger audience. This, however, doesn't diminish the fact that his books are amazing.
Well-written review.

Return to ‚ÄúVolunteer Reviews‚ÄĚ