Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluoma C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-c.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Post by Oluoma C »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dread Tribunal of Last Resort" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort is a fictional book with a war storyline written by Brian Kaufman. It narrated the events of the early 1960s and carefully analyzed the character of Decker Brown, his life choices which included fighting his people, and its aftermath. His people were hurt due to lots of loss during the American civil war, and Decker fought to rebuild his life after the war. Decker's plight resulted from his life choices as he decided to head to the west, going against his father's wish during the war. He did this because he strongly opposed slavery and would instead support their opponents.

In the first chapter, Kaufman introduced Decker Brown and revealed his plans to start a rocket business with his father and marry Paula. These plans were all put on hold because of the war. As the book progressed, Decker came back to Richmond after he worked for his uncle for two years. He returned with so much excitement and met his father, George Brown, and they talked about the recent events which might cause war. This chapter tells the reader how focused Decker was as a young man with great dreams and ambitions. What later became of Decker? Did he regret his choices? Find out the rest in this book.

I spotted some positive aspects of this book. All the characters in this book had their uniqueness, with Decker being the most complex. This book proved that life doesn't always happen the way we want it, as evidently seen in the life of Decker Brown. The author was coherent and was in control of the story. This book by Kaufman captured what pre and post-war experiences are.

Furthermore, the author passed down very intricate lessons in the book; for instance, he highlighted the equality of all races and that people should not be segregated or treated differently based on their skin color. Also, he emphasized the negative aspect of slavery and how it brought about discrimination. I found this very educating. Then, I found just an error in this book; it was professionally edited.

However, I have one problem with this book which is its length. I felt the book was unnecessarily long and could affect readers or make them lose interest in the book midway through. Also, people who have issues reading about war violence may find it difficult to read this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a perfect rating because the negative aspects affected my overall enjoyment of reading this book. I recommend this book to young adults and to people who enjoy books with a bit of romance.

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”