Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gary Pro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gary-pro.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Gary Pro »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As you might guess from the title, William H. Coles' book Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide is for fiction writers who want to write successful fiction stories. When we talk about success stories, we're talking about stories like Pinocchio, Little Red Riding Hood, and others that are memorable and appealing to readers at all times.

The author divided the book into two sections. The first section of the book, which has 12 chapters, is about the literary story in fiction. In these 12 chapters, the author discusses the narration of a literary fictional story, as well as character, dialogue, conflict, humor, and other literary fiction elements. The first section of the book concludes with reasons why literary stories fail. The second section of the book, which has five chapters, is about how to write a literary fictional story. These five chapters cover the fundamentals of telling a literary story, the essentials of a literary story, and how a literary story comes to life. The book's second section concludes with a discussion of how revision should occur continuously throughout the writing process rather than as a final step. The author concludes his book with an appendix on literary storytelling excellence, in which he challenges the authors to figure out why they write.

One of the best aspects of this book is that it is simple to read; the author tried to use simple language throughout the book and define every term that you may encounter while reading. As a result, this book is suitable for readers of all backgrounds, whether experienced writers or first-time writers.

The ideas in the book are also well organized, with detailed information on each topic, examples to illustrate each point and a summary or thought at the end of most chapters. All of these are positive aspects of the book.

If you ask me what I didn't like about this book, I can't think of anything. The book is easy to read and suitable for readers of all backgrounds, as I previously stated. In addition, the book was professionally edited, as I found no grammar or spelling errors in it. As a result, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

In this nonfiction book, the writer, who has received 47 awards for his fiction writing, summarizes his experience in writing successful fiction and offers valuable information. As a result, I recommend this book to fiction writers who want to learn the elements of a successful fiction story, as well as anyone interested in writing fiction literature.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”