Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Menace Crypto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most times people are quick to forget that spiritual leaders and pastors are humans made of flesh like everyone on earth. They set their expectations very high and are always ready to criticize them at any slightest mistake. Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji is a book that tells the story of a pastor making his way in the Christian ministry while facing challenges like every man on earth.

Pastor Job talks in his sleep about the government and Congress not doing anything to put a stop to the gun violence epidemic. His wife, Lorraine thinks he should get help from a psychiatrist but Pastor Job dismisses the idea. Mr. Reed, Pastor Job's landlord calls to ask about his unpaid rent. Pastor Job pleads with him and promises to get him the money after church service the next day. Pastor Job tries to approach all his problems with prayer and faith, while his wife constantly nags for a new car and constantly tells him that having faith isn't going to cut it. How is Pastor Job going to deal with his challenges and still maintain his foothold in Christ? Grab a copy of this book now to find out.

This is the first Christian fiction story I've enjoyed for months now. I loved how the author was able to show the story from the side of pastors. Many people have created a perfect picture for pastors and so, believe that they do not face challenges as other men. Some others believe that they must be saint-like and any deviation requires severe criticism. This book was able to correct these wrong notions and gave me an insight into the life of pastors in the world today. The book was also well-structured. The ideas were coherent, well-arranged, and well-paced. The book also had excellent character development. It consisted of major and minor characters that were well-developed. The scenes were also well-developed.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. As the title of the book implied, the author was able to hit the nail on the head and show us that truly, pastoring isn't what we think it is. I loved the author's style of writing. It was unique and engaging. There were also several lessons readers could pick from the story. An example is an issue with relationships leading to men thinking all women are bad and women thinking that all men are bad. Pastor Job's character is a very likable one. His replies to his wife and approach to situations were just perfect.

The book sends the message the author intended to pass to the readers. The book was professionally edited as I only came across two minor grammatical errors. I'm therefore rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to Christians and Pastors.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Pastors are always expected to be perfect, but this author clearly states that even pastors have their shortcomings. Nice review
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I could not quickly judge a book by its cover or title, but based on your review, I think that also the main point here is that you can't always solve problems through God and prayer, but also from human actions, like getting a proper job and bringing food to the table. However, thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”