Review of Different Family Structures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review of Different Family Structures

Post by Goodness C N »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Different Family Structures" by Mildred Stallworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Different Family Structures is a book written by Mildred Stallworth. As stated in the writer's bio, she is an "author, caregiver, and a business owner." In this novel, Mildred explored the intricacies of parenting, and this comprises the goals of the existence of a family, the value system of a family, different styles of parenting, among other crucial topics that relate to events in the household.

Like the author stated in the introductory part of Different Family Structures, "when children have a rock-solid family system that takes care of their need to belong and reinforces their ability to be their own unique person, this determines how strong and self-reliable they will be in the early stages of life." And as such, this sentence gives a reader an insight into what this book entails. As expected, it makes one expectant of a thrilling read.

The unbiased writing style employed by the writer was fantastically intriguing. During the process of reading this novel, there were different points where the author made some assertions. However, she always made it clear that the ideas are not absolute. This is because there will always be exceptions. I agree with this notion because personal experiences have taught me that no matter how uncontroversial a topic may be, it can never be non-relative. I also found the pictures incorporated at strategic points of this book fascinating. This is because they were of superb quality and helped in passing the accurate information intended by the author.

Even though the author tried to remain unprejudiced, she still produced a homophobic atmosphere by using a quote by Kirk Cameron, which won't sit well with the entire LGBTQ community. On my part, this discriminatory undertone is unacceptable. I also think that the writing prowess of the author was not up to par, as some sentences seemed forced. In addition to this, there was poor usage of transitional words, which does not paint the qualities of good writing. Note that the sentences in question were not exactly grammatically incorrect. However, they did not strike me as riveting.

I will rate this book three out of four stars. This rating stands because Different Family Structures was professionally edited, seeing that I did not come across any errors.

This book will be well-appreciated by parents and any young person that wishes to understand the intricacies of parenting. And as such, I recommend it to them. Adding to the homophobic features of this book, it has a level of religious undertone. As a result, readers that cannot tolerate these certainties may find Different Family Structures unappealing. Thus, I suggest that they sit this one out.

Different Family Structures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Blessing E »

Different Family Structures indeed is one every parent should read. Well done
Suenet Steenkamp
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suenet-steenkamp.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Suenet Steenkamp »

It's a review well written. I would most definitely want to read this book, since I'm a mother myself. I might learn a few lessons about parenting.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Lightshade by Marie Montine
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I wonder why the author had to make homophobic statements. That may indeed ruffle feathers.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Awesome storyline. The parenting tips are well detailed. Thanks for a well-simplified review.
Hyacinth Bella
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Incredible writing and story. I think this would be informative when it comes to parenting, and would also be a self-help book for those who are dealing with lots of things in their life. Thanks for the review!
klbradley
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: The Darkest Gift - Revised edition by Len Handeland
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by klbradley »

Very well written and adequately reflects what the author is presenting. Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Wow! that's a wonderful review. This author has penned a great book about family structures, and I think that's a brilliant premise. Your review is detailed and sincere. Thanks.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Katie Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Fear Not by Ralph Good

Post by Katie Canedy »

If a reader can look past the aversion to the LGBTQ community, then I believe this book can help them with parenting their children. Thanks for the review!
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Latest Review: Fear Not by Ralph Good
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

Suenet Steenkamp wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 11:03 It's a review well written. I would most definitely want to read this book, since I'm a mother myself. I might learn a few lessons about parenting.
Thanks for reading through.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 11:38 I wonder why the author had to make homophobic statements. That may indeed ruffle feathers.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 12:27 Incredible writing and story. I think this would be informative when it comes to parenting, and would also be a self-help book for those who are dealing with lots of things in their life. Thanks for the review!

Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

klbradley wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 13:37 Very well written and adequately reflects what the author is presenting. Thank you for sharing!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

klbradley wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 13:37 Very well written and adequately reflects what the author is presenting. Thank you for sharing!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:

Post by Goodness C N »

J_odoyo wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 02:56 Wow! that's a wonderful review. This author has penned a great book about family structures, and I think that's a brilliant premise. Your review is detailed and sincere. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”