Review of Gardening With Guns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Review of Gardening With Guns

Post by Ethan Howe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A marriage may appear to be perfect when you are viewing it from outside. When this couple suddenly gets divorced, everyone is suprised. Such was the marriage of AJ Wootton which she talks about in this book titled Gardening With Guns. This book is a memoir which is written like a novel with an easy to understand language. The book has many shocking and surprising events which cannot leave the reader the same.

Amber is married to Matt and has three children. Amber's mother divorced their father when she was still nine. This divorce left Amber and her two brothers under the custody of their mother. This marked the beginning of their suffering as their mother got married to a retired military man, Glen, who never wanted them to be happy. The situations she past through during her childhood made her to become devoted to her work not knowing that this might affect her relationship with her husband. She passes through a lot of painful situations that turn her into a strong lady.

The book is divided into small chapters each with a title which made this book easy to read and follow. The book has themes like homosexuality, child abuse, love and marriage. The title of this book is captivating and is one of the reasons that influenced me to pick it. I picked this book thinking that l am going to read an interesting and inspirational true story and I am not disappointed. This is a special book because after reading every chapter I was eager to know what happens in the next chapter. The characters and scenes are well described.

The thing that I liked most about the book is that it shows people the dangers of being very focused on work and forgetting to perform their family duties. It shows the effects of divorce on children. The book is exceptionally well edited. I came across very few errors while I was reading. The thing that I disliked most about the book is the character of Amber's stepfather. He does unlawful things but is not punished either by Amber's mother or the authorities.

I rate Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton 4 out of 4 stars because the author's style of writing is impressive and creates suspense in the reader's mind. I recommend the book to readers of memoirs and true story novels. The book contains profanity and mild erotic content hence not recommended for young audiences.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I enjoyed reading this book, I reviewed it months back. It such an interesting memoir and I love how you wrote this review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

The fact that this is a well-written memoir encoures me to read it soon, because I like this kind of books. Also, the book is touching on marriage, one of fundamental topics that I must be familiar with. Thanks for providing such a wonderful review.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I too was interested by the title and wondered what the book could be about. :eusa-think:
I really enjoy reading books like this one, because there's usually a lot I can learn from them. I look forward to reading this one day.
Thanks for a great review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is an interesting and inspirational true story. Also the title is really striking.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

This sounds like a touching and inspiring story. I love reading well-written books. Thanks for the lovely review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a sad story for Amber and her brothers, I hope they found a better life in their adulthood. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I feel this memoir would give a brutal honesty on how bad parenting and a bad marriage would affect children and have repercussions even if those children already have their own lives. I think that we should choose our partners very carefully and turn to counseling when we need help, in order not to ruin our lives and the lives of others.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This memoir feels so real and heart-touching that it encourages me to read it. The picture of marriage from inside is truly different from what it seems from outside. Thanks for the great review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This was a good read. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Viczboy16 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 05:06 I enjoyed reading this book, I reviewed it months back. It such an interesting memoir and I love how you wrote this review.
Thanks for stopping by and and giving me your empowering feedback.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

addicted reader wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 08:06 The fact that this is a well-written memoir encoures me to read it soon, because I like this kind of books. Also, the book is touching on marriage, one of fundamental topics that I must be familiar with. Thanks for providing such a wonderful review.
Indeed you must read it soon, thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

markodim721 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 16:23 I like that the book is an interesting and inspirational true story. Also the title is really striking.
This title really striked me. Thanks for your comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Clare Jose wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 08:27 I too was interested by the title and wondered what the book could be about. :eusa-think:
I really enjoy reading books like this one, because there's usually a lot I can learn from them. I look forward to reading this one day.
Thanks for a great review!
I strongly enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Prarthna wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 01:16 This sounds like a touching and inspiring story. I love reading well-written books. Thanks for the lovely review.
It is really an inspirational read. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”