Review of Gardening With Guns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fareed Regal
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review of Gardening With Guns

Post by Fareed Regal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The life story of Amber, the author, is a riveting tale that spans three generations with all of its trials and tribulations. She grew up in a close-knit family with her parents and two brothers, Kirk and Jay. They were also very close to her grandparents, Thelma and Bernard. As we embark on this journey with Amber, we begin to realize that her whole life was shaped by the impact that her mother and father's lives had on her. Both parents went through four marriages, with her father going through five as he married her mother twice. This meant an almost regular change in stepmothers and stepfathers. The first stepfather, Glen, lasted five years during which time he emotionally, physically, and sexually abused all of them, mother and children. It comes as no surprise that Amber's formative years shaped her low self-esteem and feelings of insecurity. Amber's saving grace was her intelligence and determination to not repeat her parents' mistakes. She found a retreat in her dreams and the secret aspirations she coveted for herself.

Her marriage to Matt provides Amber with the first positive experience in her life she could call her own. They have three children together - Cam, Rachel, and Austin. Matt is everything Amber wanted in life - he is her best friend, a wonderful father, a good provider, he comes from a loving family, and is the rock she can always rely on. Matt, however, is hiding a dark secret that would become the tipping point in their marriage. After eighteen years of marriage, Amber by chance gets a glimpse of what Matt has been hiding from her. It takes her a further ten years of anxiety and stress before she finally decides on the future of their relationship.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Gardening with Guns, by AJ Wootton. There were so many different genres at play during the telling of her life story - drama, action, suspense, mystery, and even a suspicion of murder. At over three hundred pages it was not a short read, but due to the genres involved, coupled with my inquisitive nature, I did not stop reading a chapter until it was completed. Amber did a great job in ensuring that the thread running through the book was kept intact as she juggled the storyline between what was currently happening and the related past events. This style of writing gave great insight into all the main characters in the book.

To be honest, this book contained nothing of note that wasn't enjoyable to me.

It is rather unfortunate that I found more than ten editing errors and therefore, I have to rate the book three out of four stars.

I would recommend this book for all adults, regardless of whether you have a loving and caring family or a dysfunctional one. Amber's journey from a loving environment to periods of uncertainty and anxiety in her life will open your eyes to how quickly and easily your existence can get worse, or better. Ultimately, this book is about hope, self-belief, and love.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

It's always a hard time reading books that are not properly edited. The author could work on this. Great review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@Nonso Ok wrote
It's always a hard time reading books that are not properly edited. The author could work on this. Great review.

Thank you for the feedback, appreciated.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Aftermath Of The King by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The title is captivating already. And your review is so detailed. Thanks a lot for the insightful review and recommendation.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@Saint Bruno wrote
The title is captivating already. And your review is so detailed. Thanks a lot for the insightful review and recommendation.

Thank you for the feedback. I hope you get to read it.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for this insightful review! I would love to read this book, I love family dramas :)
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@Ellylion wrote
Thank you for this insightful review! I would love to read this book, I love family dramas :)

Thank you for the feedback. You can't go wrong with this one, enjoy.
Tarie07
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Tarie07 »

I've read this book and I have to agree with you. It needs another round of editing.
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Accidents Happen by Milton Cust
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

A tale that spans three generations with all of its trials and tribulations makes it very much appealing to read. By reading your insightful review I could make out this book is worth reading.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Hyacinth Bella
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This is a kind of book that I would recommend just like how I recommend A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, I would not recommend it so easily, as it concerns heavy stories and topics and I would not recommend it if the person doesn't know all the trigger warnings regarding this book. Thanks for your review!
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@Tarie07 wrote
I've read this book and I have to agree with you. It needs another round of editing.

Thank you for reading the review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@sanjus wrote

A tale that spans three generations with all of its trials and tribulations makes it very much appealing to read. By reading your insightful review I could make out this book is worth reading.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope you get to read the book.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@Hyacinth Bella wrote

This is a kind of book that I would recommend just like how I recommend A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, I would not recommend it so easily, as it concerns heavy stories and topics and I would not recommend it if the person doesn't know all the trigger warnings regarding this book. Thanks for your review!

Thank you for the feedback. Comments noted.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Love Hypothesis
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Why You Don't Read by Andron Martin

Post by SamaylaM »

A book with different genres at play including drama, action, suspense, and mystery sound like a satisfying read. It's too bad about the errors though. Thank you for putting up this wonderful review. I enjoyed reading it!
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:

Post by Fareed Regal »

@SamaylaM wrote
A book with different genres at play including drama, action, suspense, and mystery sound like a satisfying read. It's too bad about the errors though. Thank you for putting up this wonderful review. I enjoyed reading it!

Thank you for the positive feedback, appreciated.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”