Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of McDowell

Post by MysticSpade »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is the story of Hiram McDowell; a famous surgeon and family man known for his charity work. This same man is also the picture-perfect example of what it means to be one of the most unlikeable characters in fiction history. He’s selfish, greedy, and there is no limit to what he will do to put himself first. Including murder! The worst part is he feels absolutely zero remorse. Don’t worry though, karma comes knocking after the truth about McDowell is finally revealed. Financially broke and an infamous fraud, McDowell quickly learns there is more to life than fame and fortune. But the question is, will Hiram McDowell actually change, or is all of this a fluke?

The author did an absolutely exceptional job creating and developing these characters. Their quirks, unique physical features, and personalities made them personable on a whole other level. In the beginning, I didn’t think it was possible for me to hate a character like McDowell as much as I did. As the main character grew, my hate turned into sympathy and I learned to love him. Even minor characters like Willie and Winona were exceptionally developed. This made them seem like real people instead of fictitious!

I am one of those people who need to be drawn into a story within the first chapter. Otherwise, I quickly lose interest. This was not the case with this book. My attention was fully caught after reading just the prologue. The story moves lightning fast so be sure to pay close attention. The overall plot was full of surprises and suspense.

There isn’t anything to dislike about this book. It was professionally edited since I didn’t come across any typos or grammar errors. McDowell deserves a solid 4 out of 4 stars rating. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Which is a huge compliment to the author since I’m a pretty picky reader.

Due to the mature themes and advanced writing style, I recommend this for upper high school readers and older. Plus, there is quite a bit of profanity. This is definitely a book for readers who enjoy mystery and fiction that reads like nonfiction. It reads like a biography, and McDowell’s situation could very well happen in real life. If it hasn’t already. Anyone who enjoys a moral story of right and wrong will also enjoy reading this as much as I did.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems very interesting, primarily because of the multi-layered characters. Thanks for reading recommendation.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

markodim721 wrote: ↑19 Oct 2021, 03:56 The book seems very interesting, primarily because of the multi-layered characters. Thanks for reading recommendation.
I thoroughly enjoyed it because of that exact reason. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”