Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caleb Fx
Favorite Author: Dave Gordon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-fx.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.
fav_author_id: 217569

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Caleb Fx »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you an author or an aspiring one? Do you want to improve your skills in fictional story writing? Are you looking for a guide to improve your knowledge in the art of story writing? If yes, then the book Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide by William H. Coles is the book you should be looking for. In the book, William H. Coles has tried explaining to us the art of telling good stories to our readers.

From the book, we are being taught the very fundamentals of telling a good literary story such as; how to choose the point of view, developing the characters in your story, and the narration in the literary story. The point of view is a very important aspect for a writer to consider because it is the one that tells us from what angle the author will be telling the story. In terms of character development, the book tells us how to introduce and portray the several characters in the story. We are also shown how to incorporate humor and other stylistic devices effectively. The author shows us how to bring a literary story to life.

While reading the book, I liked and enjoyed very many things. Firstly, I liked the fact that William H. Coles has introduced the book by giving us some of the definitions of the different vocabularies used in fiction writing. Secondly, enjoyed how the author has used several examples from various literary stories such as Emily Brontë’s, Wuthering Heights in explaining some concepts to help us easily understand. I liked the fact that the author has explained to us the reason why some literary stories fail by giving us examples and shows us how we can avoid such mistakes. There are also many other lessons to be learnt for aspiring authors.

While reading this book, I found absolutely nothing to dislike about it. For me, I would say the author did everything right from the introduction to the conclusion.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the book was professionally edited and hence I did not find any spellings or grammatical errors. Also, the author managed to capture my attention such that from the moment I started reading it, I could not let go. Beware, there is the use of some profane words. I would recommend this book to teenagers and adults who have a dream of one day writing their own fictional stories.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”