Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hercules van Wyk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hercules-van-wyk.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Hercules van Wyk »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

William H. Coles

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide is a how-to book for writers. Divided into two sections, it first explains to you what literary fiction is. The second part guides you through the process of writing literacy fiction. Using clear examples to show, rather than explain some details and differences. William H Coles is no stranger to writing. It is evident in the list of published works by him and the numerous awards he has earned in the process. Nowhere in the book does he belittle any writing style or a writer. William writes in a very positive manner. His style is engaging and entertaining at the same time. It was a surprise to me since how-to books are sometimes written in a dry manner.

The chapters flow easily and with ease. Descriptions are clear and in plain language. William H. Coles writes with an ease that is hard to find anything at fault. At no point did a discussion about character, emotions, narrations, or point of view become boring or irrelevant. The writer kept the reader engaged the whole time. The book is written with a positive mindset. Nowhere is it assumed that the subject manner is outside of the reader's abilities or understanding. Throughout it is evident that the writer expects the reader to try his or her hand at writing literary fiction. William H. Coles doesn’t gloss over difficulties and makes it clear that in most instances practice is needed to succeed at any given technique.

The only negative aspect that I can mention, is that the book can use a few more examples to assist the reading in grasping the meaning of the writer. This does not detract from the book in any way.

I enjoyed reading this book. It showed me a side of writing that is not always visible to a reader. While reading, I identified different techniques used by my favorite authors. I came to a better understanding of how and importantly, of why authors write in a particular manner. The appendix is a gem that you should not ignore.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is for everyone who loves to read. If you are a writer or aspiring writer, this book is a must-read and reference book. Buy it, read it and refer back to it. You will not be disappointed.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”