Review of Mirrored Worlds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JodieLKM
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading: Solaris seethes
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodielkm.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of Mirrored Worlds

Post by JodieLKM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mirrored Worlds" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mirror Worlds: Book One by Tayma Tameem Is a story about magic, elves, giants, and corruption in the most unlikely places. Lila, Graute, and Battleaxe make an unlikely trio. Lila is young, but graduated top of her class in mage battles, Graute is a prisoner released for this assignment, and Battleaxe is a giant who has seen many assignments. They must go undercover to balance the worlds. Earth and Reath. Will they find what they are looking for in time? Will Graute betray them? Will Lila’s inexperience be their downfall? Journey into a world opposite of what you know, Reath. A tale about magic, intrigue, and comradery. The land the trio enters is filled with the stuff of nightmares. As the heroes fight for their lives, and a cause, they learn to rely on each other’s strengths. They are in a land where there is no backup, and they are on their own. The government will not even recognize the mission once they leave on it. Finding their way to cities held by the Federation, they must rely on Graute’s contacts from his criminal days. Split apart and in a battle for the future, Lila, Graute, and Battleaxe form an uneasy alliance within the Federation’s stronghold.

The storyline is a great idea. I love books about magic, elves, giants, and justice. This book has all of this. Some scenes described in Mirror Worlds are intriguing. The darkness in the forest was well described. Developments throughout the book helped me become more invested in the story right before it ended. I rooted for the good guys and was glad for the defeat of the antagonists. I did find the scenes somewhat descriptive and helpful to the plotline. I see the potential for character development in future books.

The book starts slow and nurses the reader along. The idea of worlds that are similar, yet different, is not a new idea but still interesting. Unfortunately, the characters did not have enough backstory for me to get emotionally attached. Future books have room in which to expand on characters and their storylines. I wish I would have felt more of a connection to the individual characters from the beginning. The plotline was rushed and lacked some needed depth. If Tayma Tameem builds a stronger storyline getting to the finale, it may become a better read. The book, though interesting enough, is not one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I found myself interested too late. I would like to have been drawn in and kept there, but this did not happen. I would have liked to have a backstory on the Federation and the Nation. This would help me understand why I am supposed to dislike the Federation.

I give Mirror Worlds: Book One by Tayma Tameem 2 out of 4 stars. I found the lack of character development, as well the rushed story and plotline, left me feeling disappointed. More character development would have been a better idea for a first in a series. There is room to build and flesh out the story, but I wonder if it will be too late.

I found no mention of religion or sex in this book. It would be good for grade-school students who enjoy the fantasy genre. Teens may find it to be a good fit in the fantasy genre but may be disappointed with the slow, yet rushed storyline.

Mirrored Worlds
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”