Review of Rise of the Savior

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Review of Rise of the Savior

Post by Shivali Y »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rise of the Savior" by Antoine Bonner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner is a fast-paced fantasy novel. It serves as a comprehensive prequel to the same author’s Rise of the Hearts series but can be read as a standalone novel. It follows a few storylines, that eventually converge together, and are all interconnected with deities, kundalini and acolytes. After the main character’s powers are introduced, she is given the burden of saving the world - your classic ‘protector of the world’ trope. The other character’s storylines range from wanting to save their child from a life-threatening disease to being an emotionless six-year-old with her own deity.

The story is interspersed with various concepts that are intriguing, such as the kundalini realm, yin and yang powers. It is interesting to read about in a fantasy setup, and the author clearly has a depth of knowledge about it. It is a plot-driven story that is well-structured. Moreover, the author’s writing is quite descriptive, which causes our heartbeat to rise during the action scenes. It is written in the present tense, which is rather uncommon but gives the unique sense of experiencing the story alongside the characters. At the start, the family dynamic is heartwarming, with Amanda sharing a strong relationship with her parents.

There were aspects of the story that I did not enjoy. It starts with an information dump that was all tell and no show, and this continues throughout the book. While descriptions are appreciated, they are better in moderation, and preferably without the author directly informing us. While the plot has definitely been thought out thoroughly and fleshed out, there seems to be far too much happening to properly dedicate time to developing the storylines. Plus, the fast-paced nature leaves hardly any space for character development. Personally, I think Amanda seems far too childish, even by the end of the book.

There is not enough attention given to the emotions of the characters - they seem to accept their predicaments and new situations within the span of a paragraph. This is entirely unrealistic and makes the characters seem rather two-dimensional. The explanation of the plot points and backstory is given in large expanses of dialogue, and the reader is forced to go through it multiple times to comprehend it.

All in all, I give Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth 2 out of 4 stars. I would gladly recommend it to young adult readers with a penchant for action-packed fantasy stories, as well as anime shows. Although it was overall a good read, it wasn’t really to my liking.

Rise of the Savior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I just read this book, the author has a lot to work on. You have an amazing review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It’s commendable how the author came up with the fantasy setup, but I still don’t think this is a book for me. Thanks for the good review.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The emotions of characters im fiction books are important for the reader to invest in them. Thank you for your insightful review.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I tried reading this book but couldn't get through the first half. I agree with the unnecessary description parts. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”