Review of The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Malkia Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malkia-esther.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Review of The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy

Post by Malkia Esther »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy" by H. Nattanya Andersen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have to agree with H. Nattanya Anderson that life is best understood when you live it. She is talking about her journey with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a mental condition that may occur after you encounter a traumatic event. In order to write this book, The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy, I admit that the author has done a lot of research backed up with adequate citations and this gives the book all the merits that comes its way.

Nattanya was a flight attendant at the North American Airways when she escaped death “by a hair’s breath”, or so she says, in line of duty. A Boeing 727 engine had exploded five feet away from her alongside other crew members and passengers on board. Death was inevitable at that point and getting into terms with what had just happened to her was the origin of her PTSD. Now it’s quite easy for me and you who were not in that plane to say “Sorry, that’s tragic!” or merely “You’ll get over it with time” but we can’t feel the pain of the victims as practical as they did and we mightn’t have known how best to help them out of it. The author therefore describes how difficult the people in her environment made her recovery journey to be.

If only she had known from the beginning that she is all she needed to recover from PTSD. She blatantly disagrees that consumption of pharmaceutical and other drugs plus therapies would lead to recovery from PTSD. In the book, she argues that in the event of PTSD the body needs self-reconstruction and that cannot happen when the brain is “corrupted” with the kind of medications available to treat PTSD. With that she exposes the various faults happening in the medical industry and goes ahead to question science and its professionals. Her thoughts and opinions come out in a very harsh and non-apologetic manner but perhaps that’s what it takes to bring a positive change even to some form of setbacks that we can also relate to in the medical world.

The author has also used this book to expose her employers in a way that we can much relate to. We both know what is likely to happen if your company stakeholders had to choose between your health and their profit. This book is quite a mind opening most preferably to someone looking for answers about PTSD and other mental conditions. I mean the writer has done all the research and organized her findings in comparison to other authors including philosophers of great times. Although the author is a bit biased with some of her opinions, anyone struggling with PTSD would still be able to weigh the pros and cons and make informed decisions towards their recovery.

The journey to recovery includes finding the soul. That, among other topics like how science, religion and philosophy relate to the topic of PTSD, has been covered in the book. Despite having a benefit of doubt that another PTSD victim apart from the author might want to be treated differently, or the possibility that some people might have recovered from the kind of medication this book is against, I am proud of how the author has boldly turned her life around by finding her self and what worked best for her. And above all, using her story as a voice and choice for those suffering from PTSD.The editing of this book was excellent and I rate the book 3 out of 4.

The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Accidents Happen by Milton Cust
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

From your review I can see that this book explores into different aspects of post traumatic stress disorder. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Niens Now »

PTSD is often treated with dire consequences. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Malkia Esther
Currently Reading:

Post by Malkia Esther »

sanjus wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 05:25 From your review I can see that this book explores into different aspects of post traumatic stress disorder. Thanks for your honest review.
Yes the book has included aspects that comes alongside PTSD in a very much detailed way. Thanks for your comment.
Malkia Esther
Currently Reading:

Post by Malkia Esther »

Niens Now wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:40 PTSD is often treated with dire consequences. Thanks for a lovely review.
That's evidently true even from the book. Thanks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”