Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Edward
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-edward.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by Janet Edward »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I can only fathom what a fascinating scenery to wake up to every morning for seven days straight to explore the desert through racing with hundreds of other marathoners. Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler is a nonfiction book the author calls a diary from the desert and beyond. He was a partner at an international management and technology consultancy and primarily focused on innovation and digital transformation. It takes the reader through the journey of his success in the marathon. The author’s passion for running long races started in 1998 after a friend told him about the incredible experiences he had running the marathon. Though he was much into cycling earlier, one cannot compare to running, which brings a different kind of satisfaction.
The author looked forward to running to encounter the physical and mental challenges of running long-distance races. In this respect, the author took up Ultramarathon races as a part of life and participated in over eight marathon races. The book mainly focuses on the 32nd marathon des sables that took place in 2017 at the world's largest desert, the Sahara. The author strategically planned and successfully implemented his desert quest. Again this book illustrates success as a question of mental strength, resilience, and dedication. The author's most outstanding achievement was crossing the finish line of 237 kilometers race across the desert despite the hot weather, dunes, and plateau.
From start to finish of the marathon des sables, the author tells us how 237 kilometers race was broken down to small kilometers per day for seven days and how they would set out from the bivouacs. The water checkpoints at which he would subdivide his water into 1.5litre bottles, take a rest, and eat his energy snack bar and how he looked forward to the cup of Moroccan mint tea.
The book contains several positive aspects to consider as a marathoner and in real life as a person. The author amazingly uses a narrative style that makes the reader very involved in the story. He ends several chapters with enlightening quotes.
“A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor’’. Franklin D. Roosevelt
“The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain’’. Kahlil Gibran
Reading and assimilating the story in the book was made easy by the author as the language was easy to acknowledge. The pictures help readers understand and get explicit imagery of the desert and see the journey through his eyes. The last very significant aspect the author touched on and should apply in life is always be fully prepared for whatever task is up ahead, be well oriented no matter the period undertaken the end goal is to finish noting you do not compete with anyone other than yourself.
I rate the book running the Sahara 4 out of 4 with immense pleasure as the magnificent beauty of nature is illustrated accordingly. I found no negative aspects or errors in this book, and I firmly believe it is professionally edited. I recommend this book to young enthusiasts worldwide or any athletic person who enjoys long-distance races and the beauty of nature with a twist of advent

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

I am really not a fan of marathon races but I am Lovers of marathon races will enjoy this one. Great review.
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

I've recently gained an interest in non-fiction books, and this one sounds interesting. The pictures, imagery and quotes seem to make it worthwhile. Thanks for a great review!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

it is one of my dreams to run in a marathon, the author has encouraged me to do so, great book
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I am a fan of reading traveling related books. I enjoyed reading it and it is worth reading.
Amna Khalid
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Car racing isn't my kind of sport. However, I must commend you for a detailed review. Well done!
amakaokoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakaokoye.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amakaokoye »

I enjoyed reading this wonderful review. Though I'm not a fan of long distance races, your review made this one seem interesting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”