Review of How My Brain Works

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Review of How My Brain Works

Post by Feliceness »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How My Brain Works" by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How My Brain Works is straightforward reading from beginning to end. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin’s writing is inviting and educational. Each chapter answered questions, gave enlightening and motivational suggestions, and also referrals to how neuropsychological evaluations provide an understanding of How My Brain Works. When I finished reading, I had learned many new things and had a better understanding of my cognitive functions.

As the mind and body go through changes from aging, injury, and mental stress, people need help to understand the cognitive changes that arise: problems with memory, information processing, and poor concentration.

Dr. Barbra Koltuska-Haskin’s compendious book shares her many years of personal and professional experience to help anyone understand how their brain works. What she shares helps remove negative thoughts about cognitive changes and how to work to keep your brain healthy. She gives advice on where to go and what to do if you have brain functioning difficulties.

I rate How My Brain Works a 4 out of 4 stars.

There are two parts to this book.

The first part discusses what neuropsychology is and what neuropsychologists do. Neuropsychology is the understanding of brain function. A neuropsychologist gives safe and effective evaluations that look for cognitive and behavioral changes which may be due to injury, disease, or aging. Neuropsychologists are our “guides” to the “road maps”(evaluations) of how the brain works.

Our behavior, mood, and reasoning can be compromised when they are not working well. Each individual’s needs are not the same. How, what, and why are these evaluations significant for each individual? That's what this part of the book is about.

The second part gives brain health advice on how to preserve and enhance brain function with proper rest, nutrition, exercise, and meditation. It includes motivational quotes and encouraging bible verses, recipes, as well as suggested inspirational reading. If the brain works well, this part of the book provides suggested activities to keep it well: attention and concentration exercises, therapy, meditation, vitamins and minerals, and practicing mindfulness.

It is noted that all issues are not memory or injury-related. Some may be due to anxiety and depression, PTSD, chronic fatigue, complex medical problems, medicine, illness, menopause, cognitive decline (dementia), and mental illness.

I liked learning about the maintenance of brain health and problems. Problems such as healthy eating can be a struggle and affect brain health. The contamination of the soil and waters of the Earth makes it hard to eat healthy, even when you try. She suggests planting your own garden and provides recipes for healthy eating. She provides information on probiotics and prebiotics, herbs, and teas, plus taking multivitamins to help in staying well.

Brain function is also maintained through movement and staying physically and mentally active. There are safe exercises to improve flexibility, respiration, and control of metabolism. Staying active through dance and exercise can be a factor in the elimination of memory lapses, trouble processing information, concentration, tasks, and anxiety, and depression.

Socializing with family and friends, playing stimulating games, reading or journaling, and learning hobbies are all ways to keep the brain stimulated.

Some treatment goals after evaluation support focus on cognitive strengths and recovery through peaceful living and thinking. Positivity of the mind in relation to inspiration and spirituality through reading, staying motivated, and practicing mindfulness, can help people move past depression and anxiety. Practicing gratitude, kindness, and compassion can also help one get in touch with one’s spiritual self and God - "the universal power, the source of everything". How My Brain Works encourages internal development that never stops.

Do you want to know how your brain works? This book is for you too! This non-fiction book is not just for people going through cognitive issues. It is for anyone who would like to know how that thing encased in your skull works! Investigate the games and activities associated with brain health. Eat better and exercise more. Meditate - find peace within yourself.

I personally recommend laughter for the brain to work right.

Reading this book advanced my absorption of the neuropsychological lexicon and cerebral performance. See how smart that sentence sounded!

I found no errors in this book which made it clear and easy to understand.

Brain health wellness, progress, and recovery happens and continues step by step. Work on, “progress not perfection” through obtainable goals.

I’m encouraged by the line in the book which read, “You are more than your brain problems”. Dr. koltuska-Haskin packed a lot of information into this book. Any reader can research information that fits their own individual lifestyle to learn more and share with others about How My Brain Works... Well, not my brain - use yours. Read this book and you’ll know what I mean.

How My Brain Works
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”