Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Recee Ann »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought of how to create literary stories? Is learning how to do it even a thing? Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide by William H. Coles is a book, which aims at guiding writers on how to write an effective literary fictional work.

It encompasses the key elements to writing a story that grabs the audience’s attention. The book is somewhat like a textbook. With it, you can learn how to create a plot, create fully developed and complex characters, add more life to your story, work on your dialogue, and so on and so forth.

One thing that I found mind-provoking was the author’s use of examples. One of my favorite examples was that of Little Red Riding Hood. It took various forms. The writer made use of his creativity and imagination in all the various forms. Another thing that I like was the second person’s point-of-view. It’s not my favorite point of view, but at least I got a feel of what the second person’s point-of-view was like. Reading this book opened up new doors of knowledge for me, and I’m sure it will for every other reader who lays their hands on it. It also educates readers on why some literary fictional stories fail, and the adequate measures that ought to be made to improve it. My experience reading this book was a whole lot of fun. And it has less than 150 pages; this means that you can finish it in less than 24 hours, if you are an avid reader like me. But the most important thing is not who gets to finish it first. Rather, what you should be aiming at, is applying what you’ve learnt to improve your writing skills.

Luckily, the book contains a few typos that are not even up to ten. So, because of that, I gladly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Actually, there’s nothing to hate about this book. If you plan on improving your writing skills and creativity, then this book is just the right one for you. Every writer of fiction should have this book on their desk 24/7. Once you are able to grab the concepts found in this book, then your life as a writer will never remain the same.

I highly recommend this book to any writer who specializes in or who is into writing literary fictional stories. I also recommend it to those who are just starting out as writers and are curious to find out the basics, or to improve where necessary. I wish the newbies the best of luck! I hope this book helps you in achieving what you want in your writing journey.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”