Review of Yesterday

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rovika Sundaram
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovika-sundaram.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Yesterday

Post by Rovika Sundaram »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in reincarnation? If you do, Yesterday wrote by Samyann is a big feast for you. There might be some supernatural things going on around us. Even if you don’t believe, you can’t deny the fact that it would be interesting to know it. When Samyann did a novel based on the concept of reincarnation with a historical romance in it, I really fell for it.

The story has its start in Chicago. As we read further, we could witness Amanda Parker, a beautiful young woman, saving Mark Patrick Callahan, a handsome cop from an accident near an old antique shop. From that instance, she feels a connection to him like she knew him already although it happened to be their first meet. Mark also feels the same way as Amanda did. She also encountered herself getting attracted to the old grandfather clock in the antique shop and so did Mark.

To unravel the mystery, both Amanda and Mark seek the help of Amanda’s aunt Mary, a successful psychologist, who helps them find about their past lives through her regression sessions. In the past, Amanda was actually Bonnie. Little did we know, Amanda had lost so many loved ones in her life. She later came to know that the same thing happened with Bonnie. Things get heated up when Amanda pushes Mark away not to face the same fate again. But Mark is not the one to give up easily. Will Mark be able to convince Amanda? Will they succeed in love? How well Amanda, Mark and the old clock have been connected together? The answers to these questions form the rest of the story.

The story was narrated from the third person's perspective. There were so many things to admire about this novel. The description of the characters, the historical places and events like The American Civil War, The Great Chicago Fire were perfect in every shot. The past lives were narrated in pieces, making the readers understand the connectivity between both timelines. I should just say that the author had nailed it. I had seen enough movies on reincarnation, but bringing it through a novel was quite difficult. The author took care of the minute details in this story. Initially, I was taken back by Mark’s arrogant behaviour, but Samyann proved it wrong in the later stages of the story. I could feel the kindness in his stubbornness.

But I really wish there could be more about Daniel’s character and I was not thoroughly satisfied with his part in the story. It was the only blemish I could spot in the novel. And the climax was not thrilling, but it didn’t bother me.

Considering the above reasons, I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book has been professionally edited. I would highly recommend this novel to the young adults as the story contained profane language to a certain extent and there were a few sexual scenes. Also, people who believe in reincarnation can give a read, because some might find this topic a little controversial. It is a personal opinion of mine. Apart from this, I would say this is an intriguing story to read and enjoy.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read this one too! The reincarnation aspect certainly gave the storyline an interesting angle, and lovers of the historical fiction genre would likely enjoy the romantic portions of the plot that accompanied the period-specific details. Thank you for sharing your analysis of this one! 🔥
Rovika Sundaram

AvidBibliophile wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:41 I read this one too! The reincarnation aspect certainly gave the storyline an interesting angle, and lovers of the historical fiction genre would likely enjoy the romantic portions of the plot that accompanied the period-specific details. Thank you for sharing your analysis of this one! 🔥
Yes! It was the reincarnation concept that had piqued my interest in going with the story. Thank you for your opinion.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I've also read this novel. Amandas past life was the most interesting aspect of the novel for me. It was so captivating I couldn't wait until she entered another session. Nicely done review! :D
Rovika Sundaram

Rashawn Carter wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:12 I've also read this novel. Amandas past life was the most interesting aspect of the novel for me. It was so captivating I couldn't wait until she entered another session. Nicely done review! :D
Yes, her past life was interesting. Yet I feel like some part of her past life was missing. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the characters are convincing and the descriptions of historical places and events authentic. Thanks for reading recommendation.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Though I am not a huge fan of supernatural or reincarnation stuff, I like the romance twist in this story. As in Amanda, a believer in reincarnation, is afraid for Marks life and has to push him away. I like the twist in this. Thanks for this great reviews.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Rovika Sundaram

markodim721 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 04:54 I like that the characters are convincing and the descriptions of historical places and events authentic. Thanks for reading recommendation.
Yes, the descriptions are perfect in every way. Thank you for your opinion
Rovika Sundaram

J Edwards wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 08:49 Though I am not a huge fan of supernatural or reincarnation stuff, I like the romance twist in this story. As in Amanda, a believer in reincarnation, is afraid for Marks life and has to push him away. I like the twist in this. Thanks for this great reviews.
Amanda lost so many loved ones in her life which was the reason for her fear. Thank you for your opinion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”