Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by John Karanja 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marcel Nickler is a married man from Switzerland. He is involved in several professional duties in different fields, but passion for running Marathon seems to be his best in general. His wife Monika is always by his side and she does encourage Marcel to move on with his running career. This encouragement help Marcel Nickler make a choice of registering himself for Marathon des Sables which is to be held in Morocco, a country that lies within the Sahara desert. Marcel Nickler has one advantage of having friends who had previously participated in Marathon des Sables some years back. Marcel Nickler gets all the tips he requires to get ready for the race. Marcel and his team have to run varying distances between checkpoints set by the organizers. All the checkpoints are set temporarily at different locations for safety purposes of the participants of Marathon des Sables. Each participant receive water bottle so that no one would suffer dehydration which can lead to health risks. If any participant fails to take his or her water bottle, that may lead to him or her being disqualified from the Marathon des Sables race. Participants of Marathon des Sables are expected to take salt tablets every five minutes, which help restore body nutrients lost through the sweat. After completing the number of kilometers set for each day, all participants are to get back to their temporary shelters called bivouacs, where they take their meals, take bath, rest and read email messages sent to them by friends and family members.

Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler highlights the benefits of maintaining friendships. This aspect is seen through Marcel Nickler's achievements, in his life, in various ways and from different people. One of his friend Scot Solano, mentored this book. His coach always advice Marcel Nickler on how to succeed in Marathon des Sables. A businessman living in Marakech comes and pick Marcel Nickler from the airport and provide hospitality to Marcel, when he visits Morocco for Marathon des Sables.

Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler is a book that help the reader understand that to practice sporting activities under extreme hot weather conditions, may be challenging. Organizers have to spend a lot of money in order to win this challenges within a short period time like the case of Marathon des Sables through, setting up checkpoints, availing enough water bottles, setting enough shelters, providing food and ensuring that enough security is there for the participants.

The good thing while reading this book is that you rarely use a dictionary, topics are well simplified for the reader to understand what Marcel highlights, photos placed after chapter six, help the reader understand the reality of what is written by Marcel Nickler. I rate this book 3 out of 4 star because a reader is able to connect between what is in the book and what is in the photos of Marcel Nickler and other participants in Marathon races.

Throughout the book, Marcel Nickler has highlighted many issues from different perspectives and he has discussed more about Marathon des Sables and how it is managed. I recommend this book to professional sports managers who wish to take their participants to regions with extreme hot weather conditions, that they need proper planning for their sports and for the participants in order to win hot weather challenges.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Edit_or »

The encouragement from Nickler’s wife is what struck me. I love it when a partner stays behind his or her spouse emotionally,intellectually and otherwise. Nice review and a good book too
Niens Now
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Make Me Exist: A Heart-Pounding Sci-Fi Romance (Lost in Time Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Niens Now »

Although I am no fan of running, the characters in this book fascinate me. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Over the Devil's Back by Melva Haggar Dye
2022 Reading Goal: 90
2022 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This experience provided Marcel with a lot of valuable lessons. Thank you for this detailed review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the way Monika supported her husband's desire to run this marathon. It is interesting that friendships are a main theme in this book about running. This is an intriguing review. Thanks for the recommendation!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by markodim721 »

A truly inspiring story about motivation and overcoming challenges.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Radicalized
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting book about extreme sports experiences in which you can test your resistance and much more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
diana lowery
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Gnomer's Corner by Deborah Cromer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by diana lowery »

Just from reading your review, I learned a lot about extreme running. I am sure the book would be even more informative.
Kelyn
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Flight From Banff by Freya Wilde
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I'm not into sports, even running. It's difficult to understand why someone would want to do extreme running! Your review has given great information on it, though. I don't think this one is for me, but thanks for the review.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow. Saying goodbye to an eating problem. by Louise Parente, PhD, LCSW, CEDS
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love that his wife is a source of encouragement for what he loved doing. There should be a lot to learn from this book. Thank you for your insightful review and recommendation.
Rashawn Carter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashawn-carter.html
Latest Review: The Sainted Trilogy by Michael Medico

Post by Rashawn Carter »

Maintaining healthy relationships is very important. This book seems very inspirational and I'm glad Marcel took the time to share his views. Lovely review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Love Hypothesis
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Why You Don't Read by Andron Martin

Post by SamaylaM »

I probably would not choose such a book at first glance but your review really makes it sound interesting. Thank you for putting up this comprehensive and nice review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: No Country No Home
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Journey Home by Gabriel Bron

Post by MsH2k »

It's interesting that in a book about running marathons, the author stresses the benefits of maintaining friendships.
Life is the ultimate marathon. 🏃🏾‍♀️
Thank you for your review.
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
Mother Teresa
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares
2022 Reading Goal: 35
2022 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by shravsi »

This book seems to educate readers about extreme running. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”