Review of How My Brain Works

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kike17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kike17.html
Latest Review: The Man From Beyond Tomorrow by Anthony C Spence

Review of How My Brain Works

Post by Kike17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How My Brain Works" by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A severe or minor brain trauma might seem like the end of the road in one's life. Some other people have not suffered any form of brain trauma but have difficulty paying attention to what they are doing. Others may find it difficult to remember conversations they've had with others. How My Brain Works by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin provides insight into the assessment and care of numerous brain problems.

The author, Dr. Barbara, is a neuropsychologist with over thirty years of experience. The first part of the book is an in-depth discussion of what neuropsychology is and what a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation can accomplish. It discusses mind and body exercises for improving and maintaining brain health and highlights numerous ideas for a healthy lifestyle. Considering the fact that food plays a major role in our physical and mental wellbeing, the author shared favorite healthy meals recipes. There is also extensive discussion on organic cooking, and how to use commonly grown weeds, herbs, and edible flowers to enhance the flavor of meals. The book explains how brain trauma patients can make the best of their present circumstances and master their strengths.

This book is highly informative. It analyses different behavioral problems and links them to the workings of the brain. I am now better informed about mental health, and this has positively influenced my relationships with others. I appreciate the fact that the author presents facts in a logical and balanced way.

One outstanding feature of this book is the inclusion of real-life stories of patients who have been examined by the author over time. I learned so much from the treatment plans used by Dr. Barbara. The writing style of this book is simple and concise. Ideas are not shrouded in heavy grammar or obscure medical terms. I was practically glued to the book as I moved from one interesting section to another.

In chapter 14, the author discussed an effective way of discovering one's talent, which is very vital to deciding one's career path in life. This is my most favorite part of the book. On the other hand, my only dislike about this book is the repetition of some phrases in the text. However, this did not hinder my enjoyment of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. It is a comprehensive store of knowledge on mental health and neuropsychological testing. Physicians and patients of brain trauma and their families will find this book valuable. Other readers who desire improved brain functioning would also find it helpful.

How My Brain Works
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Ninefox Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander

Post by NetMassimo »

This books seems very interesting for the information about how our brain and mind work using a clear language to explain a subject that's really coplex to enable readers to understand more about mental health and your own skills. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Compass
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Poetically Conscious by AR Brown

Post by MsH2k »

It is amazing how much our diet can affect our physical and mental well-being. It sounds like this is an interesting and comprehensive guide. Thank you for your thorough review.
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
Mother Teresa
Viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Viczboy16 »

Reading just the title of this book makes me want to really find out how my brain works. I hope the author justifies the title in this book.
Muna Chizzy
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I don't really know how the brain works, I guess this book will educate me on that. Sounds like a great book with lots of things about the brain to learn from. Thanks for the educating review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”