Review of FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex" by Christopher Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The recognition, resistance, and struggle of the Blacks as opposed to the White race of Atlanta in areas like quality employment, comfortable apartment, good nutrition, and dignity of man necessitated the actions of Crenshaw Dimes. Faced with responsibility and challenges of the present and future life as a Black after graduation, mother to fend for, thoughts of his one-time girlfriend Ronisha, and protection from Whites brutality, Crenshaw sought a way out of this situation by resorting to a new way of survival which of course, fellow Blacks were afraid of.

Of a truth, it is only a tree, not a human that can see a cutlass come towards it but remains at a spot. The way Crenshaw Dimes exhibited the anti-racist struggle was told in much dexterity in Fear Me Now: The War Annex by Christopher Williams.

As I read the book, it made me connect with the discriminations faced by Blacks in the American society of the story. The choice of words, captivating chapter titles, and simplicity in which the racist experiences were told made me sympathize with the characters. The use of dialogue by the characters to convey thoughts made me give this book a thumbs up. The plot development from flashback to suspense made it an absorbing story. Being a painful experience, I liked how the number of pages was neither too short nor long such that it did not make me sullen. I came to understand that experiences especially those that reduce the human in man usually steer up a struggle and resisting spirit in us. People who are affected by that same experience may choose to react in different ways of either allowing the situation to be or fighting against it.

In as much as I enjoyed the story, I was uncomfortable with the excessive profane words. It was because my aim of reading was to give an honest review that made me not skip some parts. Again, there are few typos and spelling errors. Not as a way of giving out spoilers, I expected scary action at Crenshaw's first and last murder. It is quite good there was suspense, but it lacked a corresponding action during the murder act. Having understood that Crenshaw wanted to bridge the gap of the standard of living between the Whites and Blacks, it would have been better if Christopher made Crenshaw succeed in getting enough money after a murder by being smart enough to apply pressure to a victim into saying their card number.

The book was a good read for me but with few errors and I would love to give it three out of four stars. I would recommend this book for people, especially Blacks, who were not born during the harsh racism era but wants to bond with the experiences of his people through imagination. I equally recommend it to the Whites, so they can see Blacks as human beings and should be treated as such. Furthermore, I do not recommend it to young Blacks to be used as a basis to retaliate against the Whites.

FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Solid nutrition, safe housing, and basic necessities are equally deserved by all. Discrimination, oppression, and retaliatory acts of aggression further create a constant divide. Thank you for sharing your poignant perceptions and thoughtful analysis of this one, for it is a topic that deserves a strong voice!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a book with important themes. I'm not sure it's for me, but your review was interesting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Man, this book could have got a perfect rating if not for the grammatical typos. I really hope the author gets them fixed as soon as possible. It is a great book for the past of African-Americans.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book seems very emotional and thought-provoking. Thanks for the review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

An important book highlighting the destructive nature of discrimination. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

Because it addresses such large and significant issues, I believe it must be a fantastic book. Gotta add it to my shelf, thanks for the review.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Being that I find a lot of descriptive murder scenes overwhelming to read, I don't think I'd mind the lack thereof.

Thank you for the review!

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”