Review of A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Black Jewel
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Talking Baobab Tree
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Post by Black Jewel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"" by J. Wesley Porter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Spiritual Dog: “Bear” by J. Wesley Porter is about a Shih Tzu mixed breed puppy named Bear. The story starts off with Bear being adopted by the Porter family from a Killeen, Texas animal shelter called the Killeen Second Chance Animal Shelter. Bear is an eight-week-old puppy at the time.

From there, the story tells about life with Bear from puppy to elderly dog and includes the effects he had on the family through the years. The story is aided with a collection of photos, creating a scrapbook like result. This is a family’s tribute to a beloved pet that brought joy into their lives for many years.

I enjoyed the pictures that were included in this book. They added a great deal of depth to this story. And it was sweet to see Bear in various stages of growing from a puppy to a well-loved adult dog. It is quite visible on every page that he was a beloved member of the Porter family.

However, I noticed quite a few errors during my read, and do not believe this book to be professionally edited. There were several times where the tense flip-flopped back and forth. This also created a rough effect in regards to grammar usage. I feel this book could be improved with the professional evaluation of an editor.

I also was left wondering exactly what made Bear a “spiritual dog,” as the title suggests. Perhaps I missed this point while attempting to read through the errors, but I was left feeling puzzled once I had finished reading. All in all, this was only a brief glance at the life of Bear, being a children’s book filled mostly with pictures to assist the story. While a picture is often worth one-thousand words, they still don’t always tell the whole story. A bit more description would have been appreciated.

Due to the errors in this book, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I think this story has the bones to be a great book, but it isn’t there quite yet. It needs a few more edits to reach that point. It might also help to better explain exactly what is spiritual about Bear.

As for audience, I believe this book will be a great read for young children once it has been improved. The pictures were eye-catching and the story short enough to hold a young reader’s interest. There are no explicit scenes or instances of profanity in this book that would offend readers.

A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”