Review of Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Review of Chasing The Red Queen

Post by NancyDrew12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Donja Bellanger is a 17-year-old girl who still suffers from her father's passing six years ago. Donja's father was tragically killed just mere weeks after her grandfather's death. After years of mourning, Donja's mother, Lisa, decides to remarry. Donja constantly struggles with her feelings towards her new stepdad Carson. Though she is at odds about how to feel about Carson, she can't help but accept that he is a great father figure to her little brother Frankie. Not only does he treat Frankie as his own but, he and her mom are hopelessly in love. But what Donja can't accept is the fact that this new marriage comes with a move that she loathes to make.

Donja has no other choice but to vacate her life and move to Sault Ste. Marie. Abandoning her friends and the last memories of her father was already a massive disappointment for her. But being forced to share a room with her new stepsister, Makayla, makes Donja realize maybe this is what she needed to come out of her shell. Quickly befriending Makayla and creating an unbreakable bond, Donja starts to accept her new family. Being spotted while out one night with Makayla, Donja catches the eye of Torin. Torin is an immortal being similar to a vampire, also known as an Iridescent. However, Torin wasn't the only Iridescent who Donja caught the eye of that night, except the other Iridescent, possesses way more menacing plans for her. Not only does Torin vow to keep Donja safe but, he also finds himself having a strong desire for her which he can't control.

Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista is a Sci-Fi romance novel mixed with thriller and action. During the story, Donja fights to protect her family while also navigating her complex feelings for Torin.

I enjoyed reading this novel and instantly felt drawn to Donja. I liked how even though Donja is a very young girl, she still handled herself with immense maturity. Relating to Donja regarding the loss of her father, I felt her pain and wanted nothing more than to shield her from it. Donja and Makayla's instant connection was heartwarming to me. I admired how instead of a rivalry between the two, there was nothing but love and understanding. Donja and Makayla's relationship was undoubtedly my favorite.

I recommend Chasing The Red Queen to readers who love supernatural romances but also love strong family bonds. I loved the love shared between Donja's family and felt it was well written and highly realistic.

One positive aspect about this novel I liked was the sisterly bond. I think Donja and Makayla completed each other perfectly. One negative aspect about this novel for me was that some situations seemed dragged out.

Chasing The Red Queen earned a 3 out of 4 from me. I give Chasing The Red Queen this rating because I was intrigued by the plot immensely. But the prolonging of some scenarios made me lose focus. I did find one grammatical error during my read but, it was minor enough that I wasn't severely distracted. The strong family ties in this novel appealed to me more than anything else.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I've come across many supernatural books with dull stories and unreasonable protagonists. So when I initially heard about this book, I was rather worried about the plot and characters. But it seems this one's worth a read.
Thank you for your review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think that this is a good book and worth reading. I do feel like I am not in the mood for fantasy novels this time, so I will not be adding this to my list. Thank you for your great review though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”