Review of Yesterday

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Review of Yesterday

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Published in 2013, Yesterday is a romance novel by Samyann that involves around two reincarnated characters whose lives before were also lovers. Enchanted with an old grandfather clock, the clock seems to connect them together, but how?

Seeing her loved ones die one by one with her eyes, her parents, her brother, then her fiancé, Amanda Parker firmly believes that she shouldn’t love anymore because all of the people she loves only dies once she gets deeply connected with them. Satisfied with just a cat, Amanda goes to therapy. One day as she was on her way to work, a tragic train accident happened. Seeing an injured police officer Mark Callahan, she saves him with all her might with strength she didn’t know she possessed. As they see the faces of each other more clearly, something was quite not right. They are complete strangers to each other, so how come they both think they know each other long before they met? It just doesn’t tick with them, they both believe they haven’t met before, but they also believe that they know each other. Until a mystery grandfather clock ticks them into action.

I am guilty of devouring this book in one sitting. The book is really romantically truthful. The male lead, Mark, is really sweet, respectful, supportive and protective. The book had me hooked from the very first pages of it. It was exquisitely written. One thing I really liked about this is how the author emphasized depression due to grief, and the five stages of grief and added one more, resignation with oneself, I believe that grieving people has it but it doesn’t come to attention. I also liked the way Yesterday emphasized the importance of therapy and the advice of a psychiatrist, because the world seems to forget that there are mental illnesses that needs the attention of a professional therapy. I liked the way it showed with great vigor of a relationship both romantic and respectful, because nowadays people seems to be unable to differentiate both. I liked the way it showed the lives of people during the American Civil War and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and how it affected the people, Samyann gave a closer look on how people went suffering and how it shaped history and the lives of the people in the future. Because it involved around the Civil War, there are scenes which involves African-American slaves, and Yesterday showed a very good example of no racism and treating them as equals with also respect for their culture. What made me sad but also happy is how it beautifully portrayed a child’s innocence along with their grief, because it brutally attacked those who belittle and ignore the feelings of a child, it showed that people should softly approach children when they are innocently grieving on something or someone. I really liked how this book showed importance for pets too (it has a cat!), because they showed a great deal of importance to animals and pets that stays alongside us wherever we go.

This book is immaculately written; I can’t find any faults except the ending, because it left me wanting for more. That is how excellent this book is. With that, I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars, and I definitely recommend it to readers who loves reincarnation, romance, and historical fiction, I must warn you that you need some tissues to wipe your tears.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I have read this book too and the way Amanda and Mark shared a connection from their past lives is beautiful. Thanks for the amazing review.
Hyacinth Bella

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 00:26 I have read this book too and the way Amanda and Mark shared a connection from their past lives is beautiful. Thanks for the amazing review.
True! I completely agree with you! Now I am jealous of them sharing the same destiny from the start. I'm glad we both enjoyed this book! Thanks for taking the time and reading my review! :D
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

What a great review! I am not one to read romace usually but reincarnated lovers sounds very interesting.
Hyacinth Bella

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I believe that reincarnated lovers trope in romance books are only beautiful when done and written well. From experience, sloppy writing always makes a good book go bad.
Elena Nechita wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 12:33 What a great review! I am not one to read romace usually but reincarnated lovers sounds very interesting.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

The way Amanda and Mark connects sound so romantic. This sounds like a wonderful book to read. Great review.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I completely agree with you about how beautifully the book was written. I enjoyed it so much.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”