Review of My life uncensored

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of My life uncensored

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My life uncensored" by Cristina Caymares.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares is a very emotional short memoir. The book is about family, complicated relationships among its members, and regrets that may hunt us regarding our loved ones. The author speaks about her life with a busy mother in Miami, Florida, and vacations with her uncle and aunt in Los Angeles, California. The author opens up about losing her father to a heart attack when he was only 26 years old. This loss made her vulnerable. The procession of her mother's husbands and boyfriends couldn't bring the young girl a sense of security. But she would realize which family member was especially dear for her only later.

The book is a quick read, and it has only four chapters. Each chapter is dedicated to different family members. I liked the book and its unusual structure very much. It seems like the author constantly shifts focus from one subject to another because of her unique writing style. But it makes the book charming and adds to the emotional depth of the story. The characters of the book are profound, and there is a tangible psychological tension among them. For example, Aunt Zoe seems to be envious of the author's strict but hardworking mother. I especially liked the chapter about the author's grandfather, Pipo. He served a long term in jail, but she still would love to go to Disney World with him. The author's message - to love and accept your family members despite anything is food for thought. Also, the author's family is of Cuban origin, and I treasure even a short glimpse into their beautiful culture.

I slightly disliked just a couple of aspects of the book. For example, some family connections were a little confusing for me. It took me a while to figure out which grandmother was from her maternal or paternal side. Also, I would like to learn more about the author's LA part of the family. I was expecting a deeper comparison between the two families and their distinctive styles of life. But the author speaks about her Californian relatives only briefly at the beginning of the book.

I believe that the book was professionally edited since I found just a few minor typos and punctuation errors. Thus, I gave this outstanding book 4 out of 4 stars. Any lesser rating would not be justified because of the author's honesty and her meaningful conclusions at the end of the book.

I recommend this book to all readers who prefer memoirs, family dramas, and psychological prose. The book has a disturbing scene with the author's uncle and his inappropriate sexual behavior, so young and sensitive readers should avoid reading it. Nevertheless, the book can help us revise our possible family-related issues and look at our loved ones with different eyes.

My life uncensored
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

The unusual structure of the book caught my attention. Just four chapters? Wow.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

This book seems really good with only four chapters. I like reading some family dramas. So, I would prefer reading this book. Thank you for your wonderful review 🌻🌼
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This seems like an emotional book. It must have been difficult for the author to lose her father at such a young age. Her insecurity must have multiplied by her mother's husbands and boyfriends, as she must have felt alone. I would like to read the book to know more. Thanks for the great review.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Kudos to the writer for being so open, takes a lot of courage. Thanks for a well-written review. :)
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Woah the writing style feels unusual indeed! Family can be complicated at times and people could certainly use a reminder to love and accept their family. Thanks for the great review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This sounds an amazing family drama memoir. This book tells the story of four different families, so it seems there will be a lot to learn from it. Lovely review!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Books like these are important. The people who go through such trauma in their childhood will gain enormous help from it. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”