Review of Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review of Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France

Post by Raquel Sojo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France" by Michael C. Higgins, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"How can you love wine and not want to visit the mecca?" This is one of the questions Michael C. Higgins asks the reader in his book Exploring Wine Regions — Bordeaux France, a travel guide developed after a 21-week deep research into wineries, vineyards, accommodations, restaurants, and activities at Bordeaux's best wine regions. This book is the second in the Exploring Wine Regions book series, where the author shares the places from his experience, providing recommendations and interesting facts about each of the sites reviewed.

I enjoyed the careful structure of this book, which allows the reader to become familiar with the broader aspects, in order to understand the more specific details. From the origin of the grapes and the evolution of Bordeaux, you will get to know the city center of Bordeaux and the top wine regions; this scheme allows you to enjoy an organized reading experience. You will be able to travel through and around with this guide. Likewise, Higgins offers fascinating insights using the photographs he clicked, and also presents carefully identified maps of the region; these elements help to place each part of the book in context and to make the beautiful images enjoyable as you read.

On the other hand, I must emphasize that there were no negative aspects in this book. I appreciated the planning and construction of the book; this shows a lot about the author's interest in incorporating sensory elements through the images, and providing more than just basic knowledge about the wineries in Bordeaux by adding cultural and gastronomic information. I also appreciate the fact that Higgins added information related to means of transportation, access routes, schedules, and means of contact for each of the sites that he recommended. This helps the reader to plan his trip considering his suggestions, if he wishes to do so.

In terms of editing, I haven't noticed any grammatical errors, so the book is well-edited. Thus, I give Exploring Wine Regions — Bordeaux France four out of four stars. The author uses easily comprehensible technical jargon and a few words in another language, such as when referring to the AOC or Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (appellation of origin), the references to Châteaux (castles) and Terroir (Soil). In addition to this, the final pages include a glossary of wine terminology, ideal for readers who don't know the subject in depth.

With over 400 pages, The book remains quick and easy to read. There is no profanity present in this book, so it's also suitable for young readers. Consequently, I recommend this book to wine connoisseurs and enthusiasts, and it's also a good book to serve as a guide for travelers who love French culture and gastronomy, or who wish to explore from a professional point of view.

Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that a hundred books have close to a thousand photos. A really great book in every way.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

markodim721 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 04:28 I like that a hundred books have close to a thousand photos. A really great book in every way.
Certainly, the photos allow you to appreciate much of the essence of the place and add value to the content of the book.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

This book certainly, meticulously wraps up everything in an orderly fashion that aids reading it.
Nice review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”