Review of The Fourth Kinetic

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Fourth Kinetic

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rion (pronounced Ryan) Grean is a loner. He has spent the last seventeen years practically all by himself except for his mother. They have moved around a lot, rarely spending much time in any one place. Rion’s mother’s job as a freel ance researcher keeps them on the move since she has to go where the work is. As a result, Rion hasn’t made any lasting friendships. In fact, he actively avoids others. I’m not certain that he is unhappy with this situation at the beginning of the book. In The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants by Brady Moore, Rion discovers that he has special powers. From the time he was seven years old he can remember being able to move objects with his mind.

The changes begin when He loses his mother in a car chase. As a result, he finds others with powers similar to his own. There are four types of these clairvoyants (what they are called by themselves and others). There are Astrals, who are able to inhabit the bodies of others, Readers, who are able to read the minds of others, Prophets, who are able to tell the future, and Kinetics, like Rion, who are able to move objects with their minds. These people become the friends and family that Rion never thought he needed.

One of my favorite parts of this book is the relationships that Rion forms with the other clairvoyants that he finds. Even though these relationships start out rocky they all evolve into something that Rion really needs. I also think that Rion turns into a person that neither the reader nor his mother ever thought that he could become.

My least favorite part of the book was that Mr. Moore constantly used the words “snarl” and “scowl” to replace “said” or “says”. I found it distracting. Another thing that I found distracting was Leo’s attitude toward everyone. From what I can see, Leo tries really hard to push everyone away and does everything in his power to keep from helping anyone, especially Rion.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were only a few errors that I noticed in the entire book. I am very confident that this novel was professionally edited. There was very little in this novel that I could find to dislike.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in a coming-go-age story. Also anyone who enjoys a good action story would enjoy this one as well. There is absolutely no sexual content in this book and very little profanity. Because of this, it would be good for teenagers as well as young adults.

The Fourth Kinetic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This seems an intriguing fantasy novel. The character Rion seems fascinating. Great review!
reviewinraven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewinraven.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by reviewinraven »

I have heard a lot of hype surrounding this novel and your review has helped me understand why. Rion seems to be the type of character I would root for, especially after tragically losing his mother. The power system in this book also looks interesting and unique which is exactly what I look for in a fantasy novel. I would love to read this book in the future. Thank you for this informative review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I've seen this book in the BOTM forum and reading review made me want to put it on my shelf. Great review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

It must have confused Rion to no end to possess such powers when he thought he was the only one. Then after losing his mother, coming to know there were others like him must have been shocking and overwhelming. Thanks for the great review.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I’ve heard great things about this series. I’m hoping to get into reading it asap. Rion’s character seems typical of a shy introverted teenager who moves around constantly and has only his mum as a friend. I don’t really blame him for his inability to make proper friends. Thank you for this amazing review. Well done!👏🏼
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I am interested in seeing how the characters use their special powers. It seems like a very intriguing story. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I enjoyed this book very much. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I am a HUGE fan of fantasy, so this might be right up my alley. Great review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You have described some interesting topics in your review. Thank you for this great recommendation!
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

The book looks like something I would enjoy reading. I wonder how Rion deals with everything.
Thanks for a great review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”