Review of Wonks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Re: Review of Wonks

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Niens Now wrote: I guess that it is a healthier way to be subjected to the horrors that occurred. Thanks for a great review.
Yes, in a way it is I suppose. But, at least then we know a little bit more about what happened. Thank you for the compliment!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Humera955 wrote: Thanks for this intriguing reveiw. Sounds like a very informative book if you have a background knowledge.
Reading a little bit more about the occupation of the Philippines, as well as learning a little about the history of the island, added to my understanding of the situation a bit more. Most of the additional information I got was from an encyclopedia entry. The book itself gives the reader some background, but I just wanted to know a little more. Thank you for reading!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Brett Linette wrote: โ†‘19 Nov 2021, 06:45
Bigwig1973 wrote: โ†‘11 Nov 2021, 21:30
Brett Linette wrote: I went on Amazon to find this book as soon as I finished reading this review of it. That's how good of a review this was.
Well, I'm glad to hear you say that! I didn't know much about the Philippines before reading the book, and I did a tiny bit of research after I read the book, so I'm glad that I picked it to review! I learned something. I think because it is not extremely graphic, it has a broader audience. Thanks for the compliment!
The Philippines looks to be one of the most beautiful countries ever; I watched a movie that was filmed in the Philippines once and couldn't stop marveling at the scenery. I like how you researched the Philippines following this book you read about it. I might have to follow your lead and do the same.
I am Filipino and know most of what Wonks relates. We were under Spanish, American, and Japanese rule. The beauty of my country seems irresistible to the conquerors. ๐Ÿ˜† The Spanish made us Christian. The Americans made us democratic. The Japanese made us industrious. There's always a silver lining.

After the pandemic lets up, come visit the Philippines. Mabuhay!
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Miriam Molina wrote:
Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

Well, I'm glad to hear you say that! I didn't know much about the Philippines before reading the book, and I did a tiny bit of research after I read the book, so I'm glad that I picked it to review! I learned something. I think because it is not extremely graphic, it has a broader audience. Thanks for the compliment!
The Philippines looks to be one of the most beautiful countries ever; I watched a movie that was filmed in the Philippines once and couldn't stop marveling at the scenery. I like how you researched the Philippines following this book you read about it. I might have to follow your lead and do the same.
I am Filipino and know most of what Wonks relates. We were under Spanish, American, and Japanese rule. The beauty of my country seems irresistible to the conquerors. ๐Ÿ˜† The Spanish made us Christian. The Americans made us democratic. The Japanese made us industrious. There's always a silver lining.

After the pandemic lets up, come visit the Philippines. Mabuhay!
That's sort of what I got from the encyclopedia, not about the beauty of the island being the reason everyone wanted it, but the order in which other countries moved in. The reasoning keeps changing depending on who one talks to I think; everyone has a different theory. I think people often attribute reasons that seem parallel to either their own hopes or own fears regarding a situation. Regardless, in retrospect, the entire business seems terrible, cruel, and violent and I hope that some good has come out of the whole thing! I'm sure the Philippines are beautiful to visit!

Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Bigwig1973 wrote: โ†‘19 Nov 2021, 08:15
Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

It seems people fought over the island or something. Apparently, people from the Philippines are genetically different than other groups who resemble Filipinos. This information was from an old book I have. That's apparently why the U.S. got involved in the first place, so it kinda sucks that Americans were treated that badly. I'm sure it's gorgeous, I don't see how it couldn't be. But, in relation to understanding the situation, history on the politics surrounding the Philippines is extremely helpful. I didn't do much research, geographically. But, I'm sure that would be interesting also. Enjoy the book and your research if you do go that route!
I'm afraid to say that I don't know anything about the Philippines from a political standpoint. I appreciate you enlightening me on the history of said country. Thank you, also, for hoping that I enjoy the book; it pains me to say that I've been writing so many book reviews on here to increase my score that I haven't had the chance to finish it but am looking forward to doing so.

Where would you recommend one go to learn more? Are there any articles I could read or videos I could watch?
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Brett Linette wrote:

It seems people fought over the island or something. Apparently, people from the Philippines are genetically different than other groups who resemble Filipinos. This information was from an old book I have. That's apparently why the U.S. got involved in the first place, so it kinda sucks that Americans were treated that badly. I'm sure it's gorgeous, I don't see how it couldn't be. But, in relation to understanding the situation, history on the politics surrounding the Philippines is extremely helpful. I didn't do much research, geographically. But, I'm sure that would be interesting also. Enjoy the book and your research if you do go that route!
I'm afraid to say that I don't know anything about the Philippines from a political standpoint. I appreciate you enlightening me on the history of said country. Thank you, also, for hoping that I enjoy the book; it pains me to say that I've been writing so many book reviews on here to increase my score that I haven't had the chance to finish it but am looking forward to doing so.

Where would you recommend one go to learn more? Are there any articles I could read or videos I could watch?
I'm not sure. I looked in a set of encyclopedias from the 70s and I looked online. The Bataan Death March is often referenced in relation to the attempt to liberate the Philippines. Wonks deals specifically with the Santo Tomas internment camp and there are articles that deal with that issue specifically. Sorry I can't be a bit more specific!

zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

It is great that the author made the book sound informal and added love and friendship. Personally, history is not my cup of tea, but with other bits like these, I might actually enjoy this book.
Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

zainherb wrote: It is great that the author made the book sound informal and added love and friendship. Personally, history is not my cup of tea, but with other bits like these, I might actually enjoy this book.
Great review.
The overall tone is fairly relaxed which is strange considering the situation. But there's definitely enough going on to hold the reader's interest and having it written from a boy's perspective is certainly a nice change of pace.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€