Review of Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Review of Fish Wielder

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fish Wielder is a unique and one-of-a-kind fantasy novel written by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison and published by Fiery Seas Publishing. It was the title and the cover page that got my attention. I expected this to be a weird tale of a warrior and his fish. But this turned out to be much more than that. It combines fantasy and comedy in the best way I have seen so far. Also, the action and adventure theme of the story blends perfectly with its narrative. The result is one of the best fantasy novels I've read in a while.

The story follows Thoral Mighty Fist, the lonely barbarian warrior, on his adventures in the world of Grome. With him are his comrades Bradfast, a talking koi fish, and his stallion, Warlordhorse. He carries with him a sword, Blurmflard, and a bow, Fwang, given to him by his wizard mentor, Yiz. He goes against many evils as we progress through the story, and a lot about him is revealed. His enemies being the agents of the Bad Religion and Necrogrod, an evil immortal sorcerer whom he faces more than once on his quests.

I loved the entire story of the book. It was full of humor and entertainment on a whole new level. While the beginning was slow, the events following them were more than enough to fill their gap. It is full of twists, thrills, suspense, revelations, and absurd humor. Comedy, irony, and sarcasm are present in every chapter of this book. Each chapter also contained an unseen twist or revelation. Just when you think that you have understood the story, a major plot twist happens, which redefines the entirety of the story. Not a single page of the novel felt dull. Lastly, it was the characters. Each character in this story has a different personality and made the story even more engaging. Even the side characters had their time to shine.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book. It was captivating from beginning to end. Maybe the cliffhangers were just a bit tiresome, but everything else was excellent. The editing of the book was professional. I could not find any errors in this book. For these reasons, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

All in all, Fish Wielder is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever come across. I can easily recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy story with an abundance of humor. The action and comedy are perfectly balanced in the book. Just one caution, if cliffhangers are not something you like, then this book may not be for you. It is full of cliffhangers and leaves a few questions unanswered.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

A really predictably unpredictable book. Does that even make sense? :doh: This book was so different and hilarious. I loved loved loved Bradford. His dialogues were so amazingly humorous and above all, imagining hearing all that from a koi fish's mouth had me full out laughing! :lol2: Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The book is full of twists, thrills, suspense, revelations, and absurd humor. It sounds a perfect light read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 20:33 The book is full of twists, thrills, suspense, revelations, and absurd humor. It sounds a perfect light read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Yes, the entertainment was non-stop. This book is suitable for anyone's taste. Thanks for stopping by!
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:41 A really predictably unpredictable book. Does that even make sense? :doh: This book was so different and hilarious. I loved loved loved Bradford. His dialogues were so amazingly humorous and above all, imagining hearing all that from a koi fish's mouth had me full out laughing! :lol2: Thanks for the wonderful review.
Brad was my favorite too! Besides his humor, he was also a true friend who inspired Thoral on more than one occassions. Thanks for stopping by!
D G M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-g-m.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by D G M »

This sounds like a pretty good story. I wonder what the reveals will be. Thanks for the review!
GYRO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gyro.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B08CHZGPCB

Post by GYRO »

Fantasy mixed with humour is something that I really like. And the twists and turns are like icing to the cake. I think I'm gonna like this book.
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

D G M wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 03:10 This sounds like a pretty good story. I wonder what the reveals will be. Thanks for the review!
The story is interesting and has a lot of twists. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

GYRO wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 03:22 Fantasy mixed with humor is something that I really like. And the twists and turns are like icing to the cake. I think I'm gonna like this book.
This book is almost perfect for anyone's taste. I'm sure you'll find it interesting. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”