Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review of Kalayla

Post by G D H »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla—a heart-wrenching work of fiction by Jeannie Nicholas—is a story of courage, redemption, audacity of choice, and identity that spans three generations of women with hardly anything in common but their stories and how each forms a subset of the larger picture. It is set in the then still racially biased Great Britain of the late 90s, principally in Cambridge.

Lena Manero—an Italian woman, and Maureen O'Rourke—an Irish woman, find themselves having to put up with misogyny and systematic racism, respectively, in the most painful twist of circumstances. They are both dealt the evil brunt of dysfunctional stereotypes. Widows, mothers, and daughters of families which failed them in varying degrees, they override the pangs of their own hearts and join unequal forces in shared motherhood, with Lena taking the edge, to discourage the outset of what Lena sees as “a disaster waiting to happen” in Kalayla—a streetwise kid and only daughter and child of Maureen and Jamal Leeroyce, a young British Black.

Kalayla—the book—is no voyage of discovery. Reading Kalayla is losing oneself in a voyage of realization, a psychological revolution—a conscious and guided move to unlearn old truths, to shatter the badly reconstituted jigsaw of reality and create ample space to reconstrue veritable truths. It is rediscovering a truth that always was there.

There is a construct-complex to realize, a myriad of truths to paint in the form of a story. Jeannie deadens her pen to fuel the relay. As the focus enlarges to encompass three major sides to this narrative-complex, we see her letting her humanity lord over any egocentric attempt at literary bravado. She tunes in to what is in front of her—a pain too deep to be internalized. She is dumbfounded as much as she is horrified. Although Kalayla—the book—is her space, her book, in her name, she still seems to say: “go ahead and tell your story, speak your own truth and take nothing back.” And tell they did indeed, each taking turns to present reality as they experienced it.

Of all three narrators—Lena, Maureen and Kalayla—the latter's thoughts and ways of seeing the world around her became my favorite inlet to the mainland of the story. When in Kalayla's thoughts, a reader is unable to think of anywhere else. She is an eccentric, eleven year old, biracial non-kid who has her identity well cut out—setting a “B+ only” academic rule to sidetrack reproach for poor scores and excessive attention accrued to perfect ones and leaving the latter to those “who need it.” The character of Kalayla is simply raw and endearing—the kind that intrigues as much as it draws you.

Jeannie does an excellent job with both sides of Kalayla—the book and the child. How several complex themes and two-generational life experiences are weaved into the simple story of one lone kid is a wonder in this timeless piece of literature. This is one delicious novel that can not fail to find “the readership it deserves and demands.” The emotional weight of the story is tampered with moments of true laughter slotted into the right spots of a flowing narrative text.

There is hardly a thing to pinpoint with distaste in Kalayla—the book. The editing is exceptional. Many eyes will dim out trying to find any more than three errors. The novelist might also have done well to afford us an inlet, however small, into the character of Kalayla's erratic uncle, Clarence, from his own viewpoint—the latter being an interesting oddity most of the time.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the eccentricity of the three-forked narration which makes it up, the iconic literary genius imbued in it by the authoress, the boldness of the themes construed in it by a writer who “refuses to look away,” and the artfulness which has gone into the creation of very unique characters, of which Kalayla is a part. This rating is also encouraged by the virtually errorfree text of the novel which corroborates the seriousness of the the topics explored in it.

I recommend this novel to readers above the age of sixteen as there are some lightly graphic erotic content. This book can also prove the perfect material for parents who desire to teach adolescents about topics pertaining to stereotypical social orders and historical racial culture. In times of struggle and strife, of fear and confusion, this book will always be to its reader a source of strength and hope. In the end, the story of one street kid is able to shed its singularity and Kalayla's story becomes our story too—the last strand of a history long submerged by the sands of time.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now
Maya Angelou
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This book is such a great work against racial stereotypes. I love how the author has sewn together the story along with the moral aspects. Thanks for the great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the author told the story from the perspective of ladies from three different generations.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Sounds like a great story
Good reveiw🍀
:tiphat:
G D H

Post by G D H »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 07:12 This book is such a great work against racial stereotypes. I love how the author has sewn together the story along with the moral aspects. Thanks for the great review!
Jeannie Nicholas is truly an amazing writer. I welcome your thoughtful and encouraging words.
G D H

Post by G D H »

markodim721 wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 10:50 I think it's great that the author told the story from the perspective of ladies from three different generations.
Me too. That was very insightful on her part. :tiphat:
G D H

Post by G D H »

:twisted:
Humera955 wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 02:33 Sounds like a great story
Good reveiw🍀
It IS a great story. Believe me, you would be surprised at just how much of an exciting read this book is worth. :)
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

It's great that the author describes the story of women of three different age groups giving readers a wide range of opinions. Thanks for such a detailed review.
G D H

Post by G D H »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:04 It's great that the author describes the story of women of three different age groups giving readers a wide range of opinions. Thanks for such a detailed review.
In truth, I also believe that no degree of any singular first-person narration could have possible made the same impression on us or given us a better clue to what is happening within Jeannie's book. I deeply appreciate your generosity and kind words. 🙏
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I've read several reviews on this book and I'm glad it's a good book. Thanks for your indepth review.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
G D H

Post by G D H »

Maxreview wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 05:22 I've read several reviews on this book and I'm glad it's a good book. Thanks for your indepth review.
Personally, I think it has its unique doses of charm and story. It is nice knowing you like Kalayla as much as I do. Hope you get to read it soon, if you are yet to do so. After which, I would love to see you come here again to tell me what you think.

I am humbled by your kind words. :tiphat:
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I agree that the book is wonderful and your review confirms that. I'm glad you loved the book too. Nice review!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”