Review of Rise of the Savior

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Review of Rise of the Savior

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rise of the Savior" by Antoine Bonner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you are a teenage girl and all you have to do is shout “ex animo”, Latin for “from the heart”, to be so powerful that the survival of all humanity rests on your shoulders. That is the lucky situation of our main character in this book. Amanda is an ordinary girl who only wants to go to college and carry on with her life as normal teenagers do. Well, she is in for a rude shock. She is soon involved in a car accident while in the company of her father. While unconscious from the shock of the impact, a powerful deity makes her the reigning acolyte of truth. At first, she is reluctant to wear her new crown but when both of her parents die a mysterious and unnatural death, she is left with no choice but to accept her fate.

She teams up with Saira, her six-year-old sister, who is also the acolyte of transcendence, to defeat Jamie. Jamie is the acolyte of death who is on a mission to kidnap and murder children in exchange for the life of his sick son. In her dangerous quest, Amanda finds out that not only does she have to save these children, but the survival of the entire universe depends on her ability to defeat powerful dark forces both in the spiritual and real worlds.

Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth, is the best fantasy novel I have read so far. One word that best describes this book is consistency. The plot involves numerous characters, with some playing multiple roles depending on the realm of reality they are in. The absolute lack of mix-ups shows how structured and consistent this book is. Antoine Bonner adopts a unique writing style that is consistent from the first page to the last. His use of shortened English words throughout this book is similar to the way he wrote his previous book in this series. I like this style and more so his consistency in its use. The story itself is not told from the perspective of any character in this book. The narrator appears to be an outside observer. From this observer's vantage point, I was able to experience the events play out as if they were happening in front of my very own eyes.

I also liked the fact that the plot was very engaging. Once I got my first adrenaline kick from the first few chapters, I could not stop turning the pages. I also liked the fact that I found many lessons embedded in the background of the story. The themes of love, trust, endurance, power, commitment, and sacrifice were subtly present throughout the chaotic scenes of the story. This book was edited well. The few minor errors that I found were barely noticeable and inconsequential. I also found the flow of the prose to be flawless.

On the other hand, I was not overly impressed by Amanda's initial stubbornness to claim her throne. There are events that could have been prevented had she dived into her role sooner. I also didn't like the abrupt way I arrived at the final chapter. I was left desperately turning non-existent pages, wishing for more. Another thing that distracted me a little was the extensive use of mythology, this was considering my limited knowledge of the same. I felt that I could have enjoyed this book more if I had at least some basic knowledge of the terminologies. I also have to point out that I did not encounter any sexual content, but there is mild use of profanity in this book.

Finally, I feel obliged to award this book a well-deserved four out of four stars. The unique and captivating plot, the consistency displayed in all aspects of the book, and the uncommon writing style used by the author are the main factors that inform this decision. For the audience, I would recommend all adults, especially those who love anime and fantasy books.

Rise of the Savior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

At first, the title had me thinking that this was another book pushing religion when in fact it is about magic. I am adding this one to my bookshelf. Thank you for an excellent review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Niens Now wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:16 At first, the title had me thinking that this was another book pushing religion when in fact it is about magic. I am adding this one to my bookshelf. Thank you for an excellent review.
Yeah it is an excellent book. Do read it someday. Thanks too.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author did a great job of sustaining interest in the plot. I loved your description of turning the non-existent pages! (Ha - Ha!) It's wonderful when a book is that interesting. Thanks for the amazing recommendation. This looks good.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Living your life like Amanda sounds amazing. I bet reading this book will give me a lot of fun time. Thanks for the newly learned word, ex animo. Great review.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Unosthetic wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 22:58 Living your life like Amanda sounds amazing. I bet reading this book will give me a lot of fun time. Thanks for the newly learned word, ex animo. Great review.
Enjoy the book and welcome. Thanks too for stopping by.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Fantasy novels, in my opinion, are a little tricky. But this one appears to be unique, and I'm interested to see what occurs next. Thankyou for your review.^^
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I have no idea what an acolyte is but I am willing to find out by reading this book, which you also say is very entertaining. Thanks for the review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”