Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Austin Okumu
Favorite Book: A Police Action
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-okumu.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Austin Okumu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The best storyteller has the knowledge on how to bring readers inside the story. In literary fiction, conflict is essential in storytelling and the prose used for the story. In the text it said through character-based, an author shouldn’t be part of the story. Why and how should define the character and plot in a fiction story. Successful fiction depends on the author`s opinion. According to the text, a well draft fiction can break up due to changing tenses. The timeline of the story shouldn`t be confused while trying to satisfy the story's information for the reader. It is evident that readers mostly do not readjust to admire the author’s facility with language. Between two to three characters in literal fiction, conflict can be developed. Stories give us a glimpse of how others think. The author mentioned that, as a good writer since literary fiction serves multiple functions and purposes having a great dialogue is essential. A dialogue clearly identifies the purpose related to the story. Again, the text highlight that, voice and point although related but not the same. The author control perspective of the narrative whether to guide the reader's understanding and involvement or to help define what is true. The story is the world, a story has a defined space. Successful fiction makes readers curious about what happens next. Authors may fail to deliver true reader enjoyment if they insist on an unstructured approach and write scenes without intentional will.

I really loved this book Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer`s Guide by William H. Coles very much. I found quite a number of built stories as Coles tries to explain his guide to writers on how good fiction could be given weight.

There was nothing I found not to dislike about this book. For instance, under the sub-topic, Fundamentals of Telling a Literary Story, it is clear to say the author Coles is using his time to educate. I like learning new things every day.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer`s Guide shows how good writers and storytellers could overcome the pros and cons of a good and bad fiction narrative. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from profane words I didn`t come across any grammatical error.

For many, in storytelling, as the character acts, the narrator tells while the author creates. A process that is most awkward to some readers. It is also easier to tell between hatred through an action when the first person is used in a fiction story. Fiction writers could really find some helpful tips in this book.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”