Review of The Great Awakening

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Great Awakening

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Great Awakening" by Arthur F Seymour.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever imagine robots predicting the future? Do you wish you could as well create a machine or the cure for a disease? You’re not the only person who does wish for these things.

The Great Awakening, by Arthur Seymour, is a science-fiction novel that is a sequel to the book Earth Won. It tells the story of a normal world before a strong disease, threatening to kill millions of people, surfaces. Seymour, his family, and other humanoid robots who were gathered at a secure place do the most to combat this disease and the creature that had created it. A lot happened in the cave during the search for the cure, including revealing a three-step plan to Seymour. Only the readers of this book would discover what happened in that cave.

Arthur Seymour gave hope to readers that the deadly virus could be destroyed through his characters and characterization. Everyone was working towards the same goal of destroying the virus to go back to their homelands. He didn’t only tell the story. He also taught lessons in between the plots. An example was when Ruby reminded Jimmy of their family motto right after he mocked Stacey and Yolanda, asking Martin to be humble. These are among other lessons a reader can learn from the book.

Being a poet, the author did well in using poems in his stories, which appealed to me mostly. The poems used in the book did not only tell stories but mostly served as hints to something else, which means they could not be ignored, not even by the characters in the book. Paul seemed to get a clue on how to destroy the "coma virus" when Stacey recited a poem at Devyn’s service. The characters I liked the most were Andy and Joey, as they were resilient in making their machine that could fart and burp.

What I thought was negative about the book was that the author claims to have significantly reduced the bar codes. I still do not see a need for those left behind with pictures. The book had pictures and bar codes that disrupted my reading. They could have been placed on top or bottom of each page if need be and not in the middle like on page three. Moreso, the use of computer language in the book could reduce the audience, as not everyone could grasp what the author implied.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for being concise. It was professionally edited, as I found a few errors. I will also recommend this book for fans of science fiction and those into computers and robots.

The Great Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This sounds like a book that has been inspired by the current circumstances. It's great that the author has tried to tell the reader to not lose hope and keep on working to find the cure. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

My answers to all your above questions is NO. Science fiction related to computers and robots doesn't fascinate me. Thanks for the review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This sounds fascinating. What happens in the cave? I am naturally curious. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

This sounds like an interesting science-fiction book and looks like it has been inspired by our current pandemic. The barcodes sound very peculiar. Are they at all related to the story or just there by mistake?
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I love that the author incorporated poetry into the story! Thanks for the great review; I'll consider giving this book a read.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the author has included some life lessons and poetry in the book.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Perhaps the author should have done a better job of explaining or even 'dumbing down' the computer language to better engage his audience. I'm curious about the bar codes, though. Were they meant to be part of the story or separators between parts of it perhaps?
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I don’t like reading about deadly viruses since the world situation is as it is. I also don’t care much about poems. Using barcodes in a book also sounds rather confusing. I wonder why the author used these? Thank you for an interesting review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Very cool that the author incorporated poetry throughout the work to use as hints and clues for things. The use of barcodes is...odd? Great review, thank you!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A science-fiction book that includes poems seems like an intriguing read! Thank you for this amazing review!
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

Is it just me or does this book sound like it was inspired by the pandemic? I'd definitely love to find out what happened next.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Obioma CM wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 20:55 Is it just me or does this book sound like it was inspired by the pandemic? I'd definitely love to find out what happened next.
That was my thought, too.

I appreciate the inclusion of poems throughout the book. Thank you for the review!
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Seymour is a type of hero we need. The plot of this book is like our current situation right now. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I wish the computer language terms in the book were not so bothersome. I wouldn't want to keep checking the dictionary. Thanks for an honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”