Review of My life uncensored

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review of My life uncensored

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My life uncensored" by Cristina Caymares.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How did you become the person you are today? Can you identify the experiences in your childhood that defined you? Cristina Caymares wrote about the four most influential people in her childhood. In four short chapters, she delved into her childhood memories of her parents and grandparents. My Life: Uncensored is a memoir in which the author reminisced about the events and emotions that shaped her life. She described herself as a highly sensitive person and tried to determine what circumstances and people had defined her life.

Cristina lived in Miami with her mother, grandmother, and older sister. Every summer, she and her sister traveled to Los Angeles to stay with their aunt and uncle. When they returned to Florida, she spent treasured moments with her grandparents. After her father passed away, Mom had several husbands and boyfriends. Babysitters filled in as authority figures until they moved in with Grandma. Abuela Pilar was her rock of stability, and she took the sisters to church, prepared their meals, and played with them. Of all these experiences, what were the most defining moments in her life?

Cristina’s voice came through in her writing. Clear and vivid descriptions revealed her pain, confusion, disappointments, joys, and accomplishments. I enjoyed Cristina’s ability to bring her family to life by sharing her experiences. Her stories were not always pretty. The honesty about her chaotic family life will make readers smile and cry. The family photos brought this family closer to the reader. On numerous occasions, the author manifested her Cuban heritage by expressing her emotions in Spanish. These were all translated, except for one instance. I appreciated Cristina’s efforts to tell her uncensored story without recurring to the use of profanity or inappropriate scenes.

This book needs another round of editing. I noticed several spelling and comma errors. While this story may have helped the author define her past, readers do not have closure on several topics. I would have liked to learn more about her younger brother. This younger sibling was mentioned but was never named and did not appear in any of the photos. Did he influence her life in any way? Why did she rush over the comment about her twenty-one high school boyfriends? This book ended without giving readers resolution about several situations in Cristina’s life.

I rate this book two out of four stars. Cristina told a compelling story of the many experiences that contributed to forming her personality. Nevertheless, readers finish the memoir with several loose threads floating in the wind. The grammar errors obliged me to take away another star. Readers who prefer memoirs would enjoy Cristina’s story. Teachers, parents, and youth leaders could read Cristina’s story to learn how young people struggle to define their identities. Adult readers will recall how small gestures sow seeds that produce lasting effects in young hearts.

My life uncensored
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Cristina's story resonates with a lot of youth nowadays. She is just one of the few courageous enough to come out. Still, the flow and ending seem sloppy. Thank you for a great review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

The author lost her father at such a young age, and then her mother having several boyfriends and husbands must have left an impact on her. Thanks for the great review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

RHD wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 11:58 Cristina's story resonates with a lot of youth nowadays. She is just one of the few courageous enough to come out. Still, the flow and ending seem sloppy. Thank you for a great review!
Cristina has had an amazing story and tells it openly and honestly. You can learn so much about the human spirit through true stories about people's experiences. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 14:34 The author lost her father at such a young age, and then her mother having several boyfriends and husbands must have left an impact on her. Thanks for the great review.
The author was quite open about events from her childhood. It was eye-opening to read about the four people who had influenced her. I hope you will read her short memoir and see what you think! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I already wanted to read this book. And now I am more intrigued to know Christina's story. Thankyou for the excellent review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 21:28 I already wanted to read this book. And now I am more intrigued to know Christina's story. Thankyou for the excellent review.
I enjoyed the book's format with each chapter dedicated to a different person in her life. She, obviously, put a great deal of time and reflection into the events related to each relative. I hope you enjoy Cristina's story! Thanks for your kind words.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Ah closure, don't we all want it, thanks for a insightful review :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Reader-247 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 14:29 Ah closure, don't we all want it, thanks for a insightful review :)
Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I appreciate your insights.
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

Life: Uncensored by Cristina Caymares sounds like a great read. As a fan of memoir books, I'll give this one a try. Thank you for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

addicted reader wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 14:51 Life: Uncensored by Cristina Caymares sounds like a great read. As a fan of memoir books, I'll give this one a try. Thank you for the review.
If you like memoirs, you will enjoy Cristina's story. She had added photos of the people who influenced her childhood years. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I don't really read memoirs, and the errors and lack of closure make it all the more likely that I won't be reading this one. I think I might like reading about Christina's Abuela, though; she sounds like an amazing woman. Thanks for the great review.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kelyn wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 17:21 I don't really read memoirs, and the errors and lack of closure make it all the more likely that I won't be reading this one. I think I might like reading about Christina's Abuela, though; she sounds like an amazing woman. Thanks for the great review.
That's life! Some parts are not so outstanding - and other parts are just amazing! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your thoughts. :-)
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Cristina's memoir sounds amazing. But I have to pass on it because of the poor editing. Your review is great.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I am not the biggest fan of memoirs but Cristina's story sounds amazing. It is such a pity about the loose ends and grammatical errors detracting from the story. Well done on the honest and well-written review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”