Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by Unosthetic »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine yourself surrounded by hills of sand. You wandered your eyes 360 degrees and an open horizon that holds unnumbered kilometres welcomed you. You tilted your head upwards only to find out the clear blue sky with striking rays of the sun causes you to sweat unconditionally. Marcel Nickler has been in that situation. He experienced being surrounded by hills of sand on an open horizon that holds unnumbered kilometres with striking rays of the sun. He's been there voluntarily.

Marcel Nickler is an ultrarunner. He shares his experience on Marathon des Sables on his book, Running the Sahara. Marathon des Sables is a six-day 251km race that every passionate runner want to experience. But the 172-paged book contains not solely about Marathon des Sables, it is more than that. Nickler also includes his turning point why he became a runner, his first marathon, his thoughts while conquering the Sahara, and some life lessons.

Nickler isn't just an ultrarunner, he's also a great writer. He didn't fail to sprinkle good aspects on his book. One of the positive aspects I can point out is the clarity of the story. The book was written in a comprehensible manner. And when there are terms that only runners can understand, he'll describe it so even his ordinary readers will cope up with the message he wants to convey and no one left behind.

Another positive aspect that piqued my interest is the goal-oriented trait of the author. In the last part of the book, he writes his every day's progress on the Marathon des Sables. For me, tracing or writing our progress means we have a concrete goal and that we must achieve our goal. It also proves that the book was filled with treasured lessons, we just have to pay attention while reading it.

As the author busily sprinkling the positive aspects of his book, he failed to give his book a negative aspect. There's no negative aspect I noticed. The book was well-edited and professionally written. So considering the facts I mentioned above, I award the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I have a feeling that this book is highly recommended to passionate runners like Marcel Nickler. But since I am not a runner, and I honestly enjoyed reading the entire book, this book will still be suitable even to the readers who are not runners. I assure you that you'll truly enjoy reading the entire book.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the book includes a lot of lessons that might be useful in everyday life, not just related to running. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book is a wonderful testimony to an extraordinary accomplishment but the author often jumps from topic to topic and mistakes are common.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:

Post by Unosthetic »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 04:13 It seems like the book includes a lot of lessons that might be useful in everyday life, not just related to running. Great review!
Thank you for dropping by.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Unosthetic wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 19:35 Another positive aspect that piqued my interest is the goal-oriented trait of the author. In the last part of the book, he writes his every day's progress on the Marathon des Sables. For me, tracing or writing our progress means we have a concrete goal and that we must achieve our goal. It also proves that the book was filled with treasured lessons, we just have to pay attention while reading it.
I couldn't agree with you more. Writing down about our progress is indeed a great motivator. And I'm glad to know that this book can be read by runners and non-runners alike.
I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for this great review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:

Post by Unosthetic »

markodim721 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 10:36 The book is a wonderful testimony to an extraordinary accomplishment but the author often jumps from topic to topic and mistakes are common.
I appreciate your thoughts. The book is still informative and worth reading. Thanks for commenting.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:

Post by Unosthetic »

I couldn't agree with you more. Writing down about our progress is indeed a great motivator. And I'm glad to know that this book can be read by runners and non-runners alike.
I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for this great review. :tiphat:
That's biggest lesson I learnd from this book. Thanks for commentibg. I do appreciate it.
ethan_nnnn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ethan_nnnn »

The book tackles not just the competition but for life lessons too. Hmmm. I want to read this one too.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:

Post by Unosthetic »

ethan_nnnn wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 04:48 The book tackles not just the competition but for life lessons too. Hmmm. I want to read this one too.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I do appreciate it.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Running a marathon is a huge accomplishment. But running a marathon in the middle of the desert? That's very interesting! Nicely done review! :D
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:

Post by Unosthetic »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 07:46 Running a marathon is a huge accomplishment. But running a marathon in the middle of the desert? That's very interesting! Nicely done review! :D
I'm glad you liked my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”