Review of Whale of Wonder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Review of Whale of Wonder

Post by Hunter Tester »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Whale of Wonder" by Marie-Paule Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Journey through the Salish Sea with a family of orca whales! This group of whales consists of Mama Tahlequah and her son Notch. Through the consistent curiosity of Notch, we learn more and more about the whale species and also about their family. We find out that Mama lost a baby whale soon after she was born. However, she still carried her child 17 days afterward while she grieved. Notch is curious as to why she did this, and we get more insight into her grief as a mother. Throughout the story, we also see the harmful effects humans have had on the orca whale species.

There is so much I enjoyed about Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney. For one, the illustrations by Ginger Triplett are very well done! They are simple, but you also see how beautiful and complex the orca whale species is. They also divide the text well, making it easier to read for children. I also really like the ability the author has of teaching difficult subjects in a form that is easy to digest. Death and grief are not topics that we enjoy talking about. However, this book provides a way to open up the conversation to your children on the subject. We also learn about the important duty we each have to prevent the extinction of these great creatures. When going to Sea World in the past, I didn’t realize what they were doing to the whales was harmful. So that part in the story spoke directly to me.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I think the mother’s name will be difficult to pronounce for children, but I also realize it is based on a true story. I also feel that the afterword may overwhelm the child with a lot of reading and words. On the other hand, parents can learn a lot by reading the afterword. The author describes many terms and details about the orca whale species. That part was very interesting, and you can tell the topic was well researched.

With that said, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I came to this conclusion based on the illustrations and the important lessons the author was able to teach through its few pages. The book may be short, but the reader will finish the book having a newfound respect for the majestic creatures. You will also find yourself feeling responsible, and you will become more conscious of how you treat the environment and these whales specifically. I also found this book to be professionally edited, having found only one minor spelling error.

I recommend this book to early readers and children ages 8-10. The vocabulary is easy to understand and the illustrations break up the story well. I also feel this could be a good book for parents to read to their children before bed. It can create conversations about death and grief, and also the importance of how we care for the environment.

Whale of Wonder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Death and grief are not topics that we enjoy talking about. However, this book provides a way to open up the conversation to your children on the subject.

No, we don't. I think we want to shield children from such subjects but actually talking about them can make them kinder, more empathic people and could help them at the moment they encounter loss which, sadly, will happen sooner or later.
There is nothing I disliked about this book. I think the mother’s name will be difficult to pronounce for children, but I also realize it is based on a true story.
You make a good point, but I love the idea of sparkling kids' curiosity and connecting them with different cultures and languages.
Great review!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Lunastella wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:10
Death and grief are not topics that we enjoy talking about. However, this book provides a way to open up the conversation to your children on the subject.

No, we don't. I think we want to shield children from such subjects but actually talking about them can make them kinder, more empathic people and could help them at the moment they encounter loss which, sadly, will happen sooner or later.
There is nothing I disliked about this book. I think the mother’s name will be difficult to pronounce for children, but I also realize it is based on a true story.
You make a good point, but I love the idea of sparkling kids' curiosity and connecting them with different cultures and languages.
Great review!

Thanks so much for your kind comments! I was amazed to find that it was a true story after all.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

Seems like a fun book to read and learn about whales. Its enlightening to see the effects that our actions have on these species. I enjoyed reading your review
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:19 Seems like a fun book to read and learn about whales. Its enlightening to see the effects that our actions have on these species. I enjoyed reading your review
Thanks so much for checking out my review!!
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

This sounds like a great book to introduce the topic of death and grief as you mention, but also to raise children to be more environmentally conscious, which I think is very important nowadays. Thank you very much for the recommendation!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Ashley-Osuna wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 15:26 This sounds like a great book to introduce the topic of death and grief as you mention, but also to raise children to be more environmentally conscious, which I think is very important nowadays. Thank you very much for the recommendation!
Thanks so much for reading and for your comments! I got a lot out of this book, even though it was short.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Some people say animals don't have souls. I think how the mother whale carries her dead baby obviously proves otherwise. It is sad to know that they are severely endangered.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Mounce574 wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 03:27 Some people say animals don't have souls. I think how the mother whale carries her dead baby obviously proves otherwise. It is sad to know that they are severely endangered.
Yes, it is sad to see. Hopefully more will be conscientious about the subject and be more careful of how we treat them. Thanks for reading my review!
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

You seem to love children's books. But this should be a very educative book that would teach kids more about whales. I'll read it myself too.
Great review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

John Owen wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 09:11 You seem to love children's books. But this should be a very educative book that would teach kids more about whales. I'll read it myself too.
Great review!
It’s the quickest ways to improve my score and get paid while doing it. I haven’t done a review in a long time though.

Thank you!!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

You wrote an excellent review including many details that will surely encourage people to read this book. Whether you are experiencing grief, curious about the orca whales, or seeking knowledge about how to care for our Earth and its creatures, this sounds like a wonderful book. Well done!
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I love that this book teaches children about what negative effects humans have on the orca whales species and also that they can read about grief and death especially if they don't understand it yet and have lost someone. Great review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 16:01 You wrote an excellent review including many details that will surely encourage people to read this book. Whether you are experiencing grief, curious about the orca whales, or seeking knowledge about how to care for our Earth and its creatures, this sounds like a wonderful book. Well done!
Thanks so much!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Christell Lindeque wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 06:27 I love that this book teaches children about what negative effects humans have on the orca whales species and also that they can read about grief and death especially if they don't understand it yet and have lost someone. Great review.
Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”