Review of God is a Verb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Review of God is a Verb

Post by Menace Crypto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "God is a Verb" by Lynn Keller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many have tried to understand God, and so far have failed to achieve that. God is a Verb by Lynn Keller is a book that attempts to answer the question most people have relating to the definition of God. The topic which is discussed in 27 chapters fits into 85 pages.

The book begins with an orientation, which is the foundation of the book and the reason why it was written. The author then proceeds to give the concept of the book. She explains the nature of God stating that God is a Verb and not a Noun. She tells us that the nature of God is action doing and doesn't manifest physical characteristics. Hence, God is not a noun. The book further talks about creation in terms of God being a Verb. Adam and Eve's situation in the Garden of Eden is also used to explain free will and relate it to back up the claim of God being a verb. Several things like natural occurrences and Bible stories are also talked about.

I love the structuring of this book. When I mention structuring, I'm not only referring to the arrangement of the plot into paragraphs and chapters. I'm also referring to the arrangement of ideas and the correlation of thoughts. The book starting with an orientation and also giving the concept sets the right pace for the flow of ideas. Another fascinating thing about the book is the way the author uses natural examples as well as stories from the past to try and prove her points. The book was also written in perfect English. The author made use of several fascinating terms and did well to explain the terms. I can boldly say that my vocabulary just got better after reading this book.

I have a very inquisitive mindset that's why I picked up this book. The author tried to prove her points, but unfortunately, I wasn't convinced by what she said. It might be a personal opinion, but what I found wrong was the lack of major points. At first, I was flowing with the author. She gave grammatical and historical reasons why God is a verb. She also explained why 'He' used to refer to God isn't gender-specific. But, I could also counter that by bringing up the Bible passage in Genesis, where God said, "let us make man in our own image." Adam being the first individual is a male made out of God's image, while Eve, a female, was then made from Adam. As I read on, I expected to find stronger points, but I couldn't find enough.

The book was professionally edited. I only found one error, which didn't affect my reading comprehension. The book had many positive attributes as I correctly listed in the third paragraph. However, I'm rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star due to the lack of strong points as I mentioned in the paragraph above. This book aims to educate and challenge the belief of many people because several people believe that God is an omnipotent being, which is a noun. So, it needs to have very strong points to convince the reader otherwise, else the aim is defeated. I recommend this book to people interested in learning about the nature of God.

God is a Verb
View: on Bookshelves
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

All I know is, no one can define or understand God. The title of the book however is very catchy. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

The theme of this book is really interesting. I give props to the author for stating her opinion on such a subjective topic. Thanks to your review I am intrigued by this book and I kind of want to read the points that the author makes. Thank you for the recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”