Review of Peter and the Parachute

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review of Peter and the Parachute

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Peter and the Parachute" by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter and the Parachute is a children’s book written by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning. This beautifully illustrated book is about a little eagle who, at his age, should be able to fly out of the nest but is scared to. Peter is afraid he might be unable to fly and if he tries to, he might fall and get seriously injured. Peter has gotten himself a parachute and strapped it on so that it can help him if he tries to fly, but cannot do so.

Peter’s mom encourages him to try. It is only when he tries to fly that he will gain the confidence he needs; she says. His uncle Apollo, who is a rather proud eagle, tells him about how he can fly long distances if he will only try it out once. Ace, his mother’s old friend and his cousin, Venus, both encourage and assure him he can fly. They tell him he will almost certainly fly when his survival instinct kicks in. Despite all the pep talks, Peter thinks his wings might not work. He delays flying, but as the days go by, he grows bigger and his wings grow larger. He will be forced out of the nest soon. Will Peter learn to fly before his parents kick him out? Will he need the parachute after all?

I loved everything about this book. A page of beautiful, captivating illustrations followed every page of text. This is sure to capture children’s attention and bring them delight in reading the story. I loved the fact that there was a fundamental life lesson being taught through Peter’s story. The editors-there were three-did a fabulous job as I found not a single grammatical or typographical error. I believe this is important, as this book is meant for children. I also loved that some sentences were slightly challenging in structure and there were unfamiliar words even for me as an adult. For instance, before reading this book, I’d never encountered the word ‘condor’. I believe this is important in helping children learn and develop their language skills. I loved that each character that was introduced in the story had an interesting personal story to tell; Ace’s story was my favourite. I also liked that it was a short book since children might lose patience with, and interest in, overly long books.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. The title was apt and the book cover was attractive. Peter and the Parachute gets four out of four stars for the above reasons.

I believe children will enjoy and benefit from reading this book. Children who can’t read well can just look at the pictures to understand, or older persons can read to them. Adults who enjoy short, sweet stories will enjoy this book. Those who are afraid of trying new things will benefit from Peter’s story. Those who dislike fiction or stories with pictures may not want to read it. I, myself, will reread it many more times in the future.

Peter and the Parachute
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
:techie-reference:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I also read and enjoyed this lovely storybook! The illustrations are gorgeous, and the story has a clear message. Since last year, I started watching live eagle camera footage, so this book appealed to me.

Thank you for an excellent review!
🦅 :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 01:10 I also read and enjoyed this lovely storybook! The illustrations are gorgeous, and the story has a clear message. Since last year, I started watching live eagle camera footage, so this book appealed to me.

Thank you for an excellent review!
🦅 :tiphat:
Very true. I agree completely.
I am glad you enjoyed the book too.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
:techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”