Review of The Vanished

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The Vanished

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Vanished by Pejay Bradley is a historical fiction novel. It recounts the life and struggles of South Korean people in the early 20th century when their nation came under the Japanese colonial rule. South Korean society valued draconian traditions and demanding customs over modernisation. This paved the way for their dominance by the ambitious Japan, a highly industrialised and militarised nation. The author has skilfully used this setting to weave a dramatic and moving tale full of unfulfilled desires and longing for freedom.

Pejay Bradley introduces us to Lady Sougyon, the daughter of Prince Aansoon. Sougyon's loveless marriage with her estranged husband Hob compels her to live in a house provided by her doting father. She gives birth to son Embon, who, as per Korean beliefs, is born on an inauspicious day. Embon spends his early years under the caring eyes of his mother. The story follows Embon as he leaves his privileged life behind to become a freedom fighter.

There are many things that I liked about this book. The author has flawlessly captured the details of this distinct time period. The major events that took place in the book are actual historical events. The book has less than 250 pages. However, the basic structure of the South Korean society and the norms were meticulously explained in those pages. Each character helped the story in revealing different sides of this particular civilization. Although most of the characters were products of the author's imagination, all of them seemed real because they acted in accordance with the given time and situation. There were many emotional moments in the story where I was truly saddened by the character's pain. It was disheartening to read about the conditions in which women and servants had to live under a strict patriarchal system. Besides, the writing is easy to follow.

The book, unfortunately, lacks appealing characters. Some characters, who did manage to enchant me, were soon written off into oblivion. They were not brought up again in the story. Hence, a good number of interesting characters were underutilised. Additionally, the story started at a snail's pace. But, towards the end, it was rushed to give a bittersweet conclusion. Because of this reason, I had to be extremely patient while reading to keep up with this erratic flow of the plot. Owing to these shortcomings, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book was professionally edited, as I found less than 10 grammatical errors. It contains some scenes depicting murders and assassinations. However, those scenes are neither gory nor repulsive. I will recommend this book to historical fiction readers who are interested in knowing more about the South Korean independence movement.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

It's great that the author managed to honor history so well in such a short novel, as it's something that will probably attract more readers than a long book. Still, it's a shame that depth of character was traded for educational value. Hopefully, the author finds a better balance in any future works.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems nice. Using real historical events must have made the story so much more interesting. Rushed endings are so frustrating that they can wreck the whole reading experience. Thanks for the great review.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

It's unbelievable to discuss so much history in such a short book. Scenes depicting patriarchy is always disheartening to read. I love your meticulous analysis of the book.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I have always an interest in South Korean culture and traditions, and this book recounts the history of South Koreans. I would love to read it. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed reading your review.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

It is unfortunate that the book lacks appealing characters, and that the book's pace was so slow at first. Still, the fact that South Korean society is brought out perfectly will appeal to many. Thanks for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I appreciate author for penning down history precisely in such less number of pages. However, it is sad to know that the author was not able to provide depth to characters. Thank you for this review. It is very informative and well researched.🌻🌼
words_dreamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-words-dreamer.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by words_dreamer »

Historical plot within 250 pages, surely gives an edge to the book. Appreciation for such a meticulous review, going to read it soon. :techie-studyingbrown:
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Sounds like an interesting historical story, as a lover of the south Koreans, it will be an enjoyable read for me. Thanks for your thoughts on the book.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I have enjoyed a few historical fiction books, but while this one sounds nice, I don't think it would be a good fit for me. Still, I really liked your review. Clear, well-written, and informative, it has given me all I need to decide whether or not I'd read the book. Great job!
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

Thanks for this insightful and well-crafted review. As a fan of historical fiction novels, The Vanished by Pejay Bradley sounds like an enjoyable read. I'll give it a try.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I love history-rich books and this wonderful review makes me want to read this book so bad.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I pretty like the books which have historical base, and this book seems quite captivating and engaging. I will definitely give it a try.
Thank you for the review:)
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I enjoyed reading historical books from around the dor I'll be able to gain more information about their cultures and somehow connect/relate with them. Thanks for a wonderful and great review!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I don't really like historical fiction novels that much, but this one sounds intriguing. I will definitely give it a shot. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”