Review of The Beginning of the End - It Starts

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of The Beginning of the End - It Starts

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Beginning of the End - It Starts" by John K. Williamson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Humans are proud of their technological advancements. Currently, countries are fighting to achieve sovereignty over one another. But we forget that a small mistake or a single bombing can trigger a domino effect that can plunge the world into darkness and devastation. What happens if and when such an event occurs? First, law and order will be discarded. There will be chaos, confusion, and anarchy everywhere. People will start to fight for their survival. This disarray will provide an opportunity—an opportunity for the malice hiding inside humans to come out and show its true color.

How far can a man’s bestiality go when there is nothing to restrict him? Is there hope for humanity in such a situation? Can the world return to normalcy after such destruction? Read The Beginning of the End - It Starts to find out about the ripple effect that started with a nuclear attack on the USA.

“Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself; it only requires opportunity,” says George Eliot. This quote sums up my feelings after reading this book. Through this book, John K. Williamson portrays the devastation lurking behind the arms race, and the savagery humans are capable of.

Mr. Williamson drives the story through a myriad of characters. There is an army veteran turned surgeon who is tired of seeing blood, and there is a stubborn old lady who complains of heart pain even though everything is fine with her body. There is a single mother who works as a sheriff in Cook County Jail to support her children. Two convicts are fighting for their freedom when the world is in utter chaos. Above all, there is the president of the USA who has to bear the brunt of such destruction. Whether they are protagonists or antagonists, characters are memorable in this book. As a reader, the emotional connection Mr. Williamson creates is inescapable. When your favorite characters are facing danger, your heart beats for their safety and survival. When villains appear, you will hate them with passion. Despite the extreme violence in this dystopian fiction, the raw emotions of regular people trying to survive will touch the reader’s heart.

I felt this book was not edited professionally, as I found more than ten errors. Other than the editing, I have no complaints. The gruesome nature was sickening, but I can’t fault Mr. Williamson for it. The book gave closure but ended with a scene that indicated the story was far from over; I think a second book is on the way. The controlled pace of the story hooked me as a reader. For these reasons, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The violence in this book reaches the utmost level I can imagine; if you get affected by any form of violence, please skip this book. Elements like sadism, bestiality, racial slurs, and profanity are in abundance. There are sickeningly graphic details of cruelty against animals and humans. The line between morality and immorality blurs due to the circumstances faced by the characters. Please remember these before selecting this book. I will not recommend this book to young readers or sensitive readers. If you are interested in dystopian/horror/macabre/apocalyptic fiction, then only go for this.

The Beginning of the End - It Starts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The book was amazing, and I can't wait to read the second installment! However, I totally agree with your warnings. Great review!
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

This kind of dystopian fiction is gaining more and more popularity nowadays. I love your thorough analysis of the book and its characters.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”