Review of Worldlines

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Worldlines

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gary and Michelle have a very good relationship. They have been together ever since their A-levels, after the exams. Before the exams, Gary had a near-miss accident with a lorry while crossing the road. They both have good relationships with their respective families, the families of each other, and are both good friends with Sinead, who was also their friend in high school. Michelle is a student nurse doing very well in her placement and Gary, along with Sinead, is a well-respected physics student at the local university. This is Gary of the Blue Line.

Gary and Sinead have a very good relationship. They have been together since shortly after Gary's accident involving a lorry while he was crossing the road before his final exams. (This was the same accident that Gary of the Blue Line narrowly missed.) He was hit and seriously injured resulting in his inability to continue on to the university. He does not have a good, or even civil, relationship with his father or older sister. He and Sinead live with her family. Sinead's mother, however, has a form of dementia that is only expected to get worse with time. This is Gary of the Black Line.

Gary of the Black Line practices lucid dreaming (taking conscious control of a dream while you are having it). This results in his being able to enter the body of Gary of the Blue Line without anyone noticing. Gary of the Black Line is angry with Michelle for rejecting his advances in the past and she happens to be with Gary of the Blue Line when Gary of the Black Line takes over. He proceeds to stab her in full view of those in attendance at Sinead's twenty-first birthday party. Gary of the Blue Line is subsequently arrested and charged with the crime.

Will Gary of the Blue Line be convicted of the crime? Will his defense be able to explain the Many Worlds theory to a jury and convince them of his innocence? Will Gary of the Black Line ever be brought to justice for his commission of the crime? These are several of the questions that Adam Guest attempts to deal with in his novel, Worldlines - A Many Worlds Novel.

There really wasn't anything in this novel that I didn't enjoy. I really liked it all and I think that all of the characters were well developed. Even Marcus Bray, Sinead's boyfriend from the Blue Line, and Carl Peyton, Michelle's brother, who are very minor players, were given a good background. Their appearance in the novel added to the story.

As this book is a little confusing due to the complexity of the Many Worlds theory, I would recommend it only for someone who already has an interest in it. Professor Buzzard does a good job of explaining what happens in the theory. I read the book twice in order to solidify it in my mind. I think that this book is a very good entry point into the theory. Even though the book is fiction, parallel universes are discussed with details that the reader can understand.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are lots of ways that this novel could have talked down to the reader, but did not. The author assumed that the reader had a very rudimentary understanding of the science involved. By way of Professor Buzzard and hid conversations with Gary and Sinead of the Blue Line his opinion of the theory was explained. I have a very high opinion of this book.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

One of the best books I have ever read. Great review!!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Amy Luman wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:12 [Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gary and Michelle have a very good relationship. They have been together ever since their A-levels, after the exams. Before the exams, Gary had a near-miss accident with a lorry while crossing the road. They both have good relationships with their respective families, the families of each other, and are both good friends with Sinead, who was also their friend in high school. Michelle is a student nurse doing very well in her placement and Gary, along with Sinead, is a well-respected physics student at the local university. This is Gary of the Blue Line.

Gary and Sinead have a very good relationship. They have been together since shortly after Gary's accident involving a lorry while he was crossing the road before his final exams. (This was the same accident that Gary of the Blue Line narrowly missed.) He was hit and seriously injured resulting in his inability to continue on to the university. He does not have a good, or even civil, relationship with his father or older sister. He and Sinead live with her family. Sinead's mother, however, has a form of dementia that is only expected to get worse with time. This is Gary of the Black Line.

Gary of the Black Line practices lucid dreaming (taking conscious control of a dream while you are having it). This results in his being able to enter the body of Gary of the Blue Line without anyone noticing. Gary of the Black Line is angry with Michelle for rejecting his advances in the past and she happens to be with Gary of the Blue Line when Gary of the Black Line takes over. He proceeds to stab her in full view of those in attendance at Sinead's twenty-first birthday party. Gary of the Blue Line is subsequently arrested and charged with the crime.

Will Gary of the Blue Line be convicted of the crime? Will his defense be able to explain the Many Worlds theory to a jury and convince them of his innocence? Will Gary of the Black Line ever be brought to justice for his commission of the crime? These are several of the questions that Adam Guest attempts to deal with in his novel, Worldlines - A Many Worlds Novel.

There really wasn't anything in this novel that I didn't enjoy. I really liked it all and I think that all of the characters were well developed. Even Marcus Bray, Sinead's boyfriend from the Blue Line, and Carl Peyton, Michelle's brother, who are very minor players, were given a good background. Their appearance in the novel added to the story.

As this book is a little confusing due to the complexity of the Many Worlds theory, I would recommend it only for someone who already has an interest in it. Professor Buzzard does a good job of explaining what happens in the theory. I read the book twice in order to solidify it in my mind. I think that this book is a very good entry point into the theory. Even though the book is fiction, parallel universes are discussed with details that the reader can understand.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are lots of ways that this novel could have talked down to the reader, but did not. The author assumed that the reader had a very rudimentary understanding of the science involved. By way of Professor Buzzard and hid conversations with Gary and Sinead of the Blue Line his opinion of the theory was explained. I have a very high opinion of this book.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Excellent review!!!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

After reading this book,I became curious about the many-worlds theory. I think it is a rather confusing and far-fetched theory for the reality of existence.
But I enjoyed this book very much.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it.
Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

While I have heard of the Butterfly effect, I have yet to get a grasp on a theory such as the Many-Worlds. Sounds like an interesting story. A brilliant and detailed review. Keep up the good work. 👏
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This book's storyline is so intriguing. Thanks a lot for the insightful and detailed review.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This is the most explanatory review of this book that I've seen. Lovely! I like that the author explained the theory of parallel universe from the scratch.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks a well-detailed review and recommendations. Worldlines is one book I look forward to reading. I'm not a fan of sci-fi, but the storyline is captivating and intriguing. I'm curious to know what happened to Gary. What a pathetic situation.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

This review is very confusing to me. I had to read it multiple times to grasp what the reviewer was getting at. However, after reading it several times I was able to understand and I am considering reading the book. However, I am yet to make a decision. Perhaps if I read another review with the same opinion of the book, I would read it
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved the book and the way the author presented the characters throughout the different universes. Great review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I really want to pick this book up! It sounds fantastic and I am not sure why I haven't gotten around to it yet. Great review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book shows a virtual side effect of lucid dreaming. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

You've provided a nice summary of the main worldlines of this book! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I found it fascinating in the way the author handled the various realities with their points of divergence and the protagonist's choices with their consequences. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

This book was such a vibe, I could hardly put it down. Despite the science and repetition, this book ought to be read by tons of folks! It's definitely worth the read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”