Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After his wife died from cancer, Santos was fortunate enough to meet Rita, who was also widowed. Together, they explored their love of travelling by going to different parts of the world. Rita decided she never wanted to feel cold again, so after a lot of research and careful planning, they moved to Salinas, Ecuador, to live close to the beach. They never experienced weather extremes there, and because of its geographical position, there were no hurricanes-although there was an earthquake once.

After writing articles for a travel magazine for years about expat life, Jim Santos wrote this book to give us an overview of the reality of living abroad. Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life discusses everything from the reason for moving abroad to the positives and the challenges of such a move. Santos also tells us ways we can know if the expat life is for us and gives us tips on how to integrate into the new culture wherever we find ourselves-if we decide to live abroad.

There were many things I loved about the book. I liked the large font size and the simple language in which the book was written, making it fun and easy to read. There were pictures included for illustration with funny captions. I liked the fact that the book was written in the form of a memoir, with the author sharing many personal stories. The most prominent feature of the book was the humour of the author present on nearly every page. This made me laugh so many times while reading and is my favourite thing about the book. I commend the honesty shown by the author. Rather than telling us only how wonderful Ecuador is as well as many countries he’d been to, the author also told us some negative experiences, giving a balanced view.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The editing was truly superb, as I found not even a single typographical error. I only wish the book title had been a little more catchy, or at least reflective of the author’s sense of humour. I give it four out of four stars for the aforementioned reasons.

This book is targeted at those who are curious about or interested in expat life. So, I recommend it to those who are wondering if living abroad is for them. Those who enjoy nonfiction will enjoy it. Those who dislike nonfiction or aren’t interested in expat life may not find it interesting. If you want a few laughs, you can try it out too.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:techie-reference:
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

zainherb wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44 [Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After his wife died from cancer, Santos was fortunate enough to meet Rita, who was also widowed. Together, they explored their love of travelling by going to different parts of the world. Rita decided she never wanted to feel cold again, so after a lot of research and careful planning, they moved to Salinas, Ecuador, to live close to the beach. They never experienced weather extremes there, and because of its geographical position, there were no hurricanes-although there was an earthquake once.

After writing articles for a travel magazine for years about expat life, Jim Santos wrote this book to give us an overview of the reality of living abroad. Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life discusses everything from the reason for moving abroad to the positives and the challenges of such a move. Santos also tells us ways we can know if the expat life is for us and gives us tips on how to integrate into the new culture wherever we find ourselves-if we decide to live abroad.

There were many things I loved about the book. I liked the large font size and the simple language in which the book was written, making it fun and easy to read. There were pictures included for illustration with funny captions. I liked the fact that the book was written in the form of a memoir, with the author sharing many personal stories. The most prominent feature of the book was the humour of the author present on nearly every page. This made me laugh so many times while reading and is my favourite thing about the book. I commend the honesty shown by the author. Rather than telling us only how wonderful Ecuador is as well as many countries he’d been to, the author also told us some negative experiences, giving a balanced view.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The editing was truly superb, as I found not even a single typographical error. I only wish the book title had been a little more catchy, or at least reflective of the author’s sense of humour. I give it four out of four stars for the aforementioned reasons.

This book is targeted at those who are curious about or interested in expat life. So, I recommend it to those who are wondering if living abroad is for them. Those who enjoy nonfiction will enjoy it. Those who dislike nonfiction or aren’t interested in expat life may not find it interesting. If you want a few laughs, you can try it out too.

I enjoyed reading your review!!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

Living outside of your birth country can be quite exhilarating. I liked your review of the book. I would love to give it a read and pretend I'm the one relocating to a different country
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

ROSEYANN wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 01:29
zainherb wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44 [Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I enjoyed reading your review!!
Thank you. I appreciate your reply.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 04:19 Living outside of your birth country can be quite exhilarating. I liked your review of the book. I would love to give it a read and pretend I'm the one relocating to a different country
I recommend it. :D Thank you for reading and commenting.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I read this book, and it was an engaging read that taught me a lot. It is a highly recommended read for everyone. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”