Review of E M P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Review of E M P Honeymoon

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E M P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you stumble upon a possible terrorist plan while honeymooning? Newlyweds Kelly Turbulo and CCPD sergeant Tom Turbulo were on the beautiful beaches of Honduras enjoying their honeymoon. While having a blissful time, Kelly comes across a gift shop called The Pigsty. What she didn’t realize until she went inside was the innocent-looking shop was a terrorist front. When Kelly accidentally discovers the high-tech computer lab inside the shop, the bad guys try to capture her. During the chase, she calls her brother McBride who happens to be US Senator. From here, the thriller drama unfolds. People from US Army, Sen. McBride’s security team, and the CIA team up with Tom and Kelly, to sabotage terrorist plans and save the USA.

E M P Honeymoon is a rom-com spy thriller written by Dorothy May Mercer. EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) weapons have the strength to destroy any electronic equipment that comes in their path; this might be a power grid or a small mobile phone. The author has created her fiction based on this advanced technology.

Great plot, but poor writing is how I would describe this book. I did not feel connected to the story or the characters. Kelly and Tom were supposed to be on their honeymoon, but they were touring Honduras separately! The conversation between characters sounded artificial. For me, the EMP technology was more realistic than the relationships between the characters.

There was no character development. Instead, minor detail such as a computer translating documents from Korean to English was explained in great detail. The characters’ amazement at this process was incredulous, considering this book depends on high-end technological warfare.

The USA team, our protagonists, acted like high schoolers. The antagonists’ efficiency was deliberately dulled to highlight the protagonists’ devil-may-care attitude. This book’s professionally trained agents don’t check for tracking devices; they will not even check whether somebody is following them or not. I will not point out more of their ludicrous acts because I do not want to add spoilers.

As a whole, I will rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There were just three minor errors. This book seemed well-edited in its grammar and spelling, but the story structure could have been well developed. The subheadings within chapters gave away the suspense even before I read the story. The plotline was the only positive thing I found in this book.

There is profanity and sexual innuendos but nothing graphic. This book is appropriate for readers who are above the age of sixteen. If you are looking for an easily readable standalone fiction with an interesting plotline, I would recommend this book. If you are expecting a well-crafted realistic spy story, then simply skip this book.

E M P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”