Review of The Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader Chavez
2021 Reading Goal: 250
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Review of The Fox

Post by Reader Chavez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler is a historical fiction, centered on the story of Leotychides. He is a Spartan bastard related to royalty. He tells his memoirs since he was a training soldier in the Spartan military school, till the present day when he's an old man.

The story of Leotychides starts as he is an ancient man that writes his memoirs of when he was a Spartan soldier. Most of the book centers on these older days. Sparta at the time was ruled by both Eurypontid and Agiad kings. Leo as a Spartan prince has to face lots of doubts about his legitimate relation to the royal line, especially after his father, King Agis dies. After seeking help from the Oracle, he is prevented from defending his royal inheritance. After this we see battles for power take place, there's treason and defeat. As well Leotychides must face a lot of challenges when he is put in a power situation. Will he become a respected and powerful leader for his people?

The book describes perfectly Spartan society. The author describes vividly the life of soldiers, and their military preparation. The book is very well written, with characters that have depth and are remarkably well represented. The actions of each character respond perfectly to what the author describes personality-wise. What I like most about the book was the reality of the story. The accuracy referred to the Spartan culture, laws and vision is absolutely on point.

The one thing I dislike about the book was its complexity. The book is a long story, with different and intricate characters. I had to check the glossary to remember which character I was reading at the time. The names are hard to remember, which may be a little confusing.

Despite this complexity, I loved the book. It was a novel that doesn't necessarily try to get quickly to the end. Instead, it takes the reader through a vivid journey. I think the book was professionally edited since it was very well written. I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It tells an accurate story of the Spartan society and shows us the way of living in it. Also, it talks about friendship and loyalty. There are bonds that are formed as kids and last all their lives, which is one of my favorite lessons.

The book is intriguing and enlightening. It's a story that takes you to ancient Greece on a journey with the main character. The story is engaging and also accurate to the experiences of that time. I would recommend this book to anyone that loves historical novels and vivid characters.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein by Donald Ray Schwartz

Post by markodim721 »

Apart from the fact that, for my taste, the book is too extensive for no particular reason, the author has described Spartan society in great detail and with essential accuracy. Thanks for the good review.
Shakiera Reece
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shakiera-reece.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Shakiera Reece »

Aside from the characters having similar names making it difficult to tell them apart sometimes, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. Well written review
Hannah Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

Reading this will definitely bring me to Ancient Greek period and that's just amazing
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Historical fictions are not for me, so I'll skip this one. Great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Uncivilized Social Worker by Eliza Eidler

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

When a book is relatable, real and engaging it makes the reading interesting and enjoyable. I don't like historical fiction, but thanks for a job well-done.
Ldpuff
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I don't love historical novels, but your review did interest me! Thank you for such a thorough and informative review.
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: Free will, do you have it?
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Fallen Virtue by RJ Benson

Post by Mwatu »

Glad to see the author does a good job portraying an accurate picture of the Spartans. The getting lost in who is who is unfortunate. Thank you for a lovely review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”