Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Review of Kalayla

Post by t_mann23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a heartwarming story revolving around three characters as they overcome the trauma of their pasts. The titular character, Kalayla, is an eleven-year-old girl whose father recently died. She is loud-mouthed, impulsive, unafraid to speak her mind, and has no friends or interests. Her mother, Maureen, struggles to take care of Kalayla while coping with her husband’s death and the ghosts of her past—a past she has lied to Kalayla about. Lastly, their landlady, Lena, is a seventy-two-year-old widow and mother of four boys, two of whom died years ago. When Kalayla and Maureen move into the apartment across from Lena, she finds herself drawn to Kalayla in the hopes that she can help the child in ways she couldn’t help her own children.

I have never read a book quite like Jeannie Nicholas’ Kalayla. Above all else, this novel is a character study. All three of the main characters start the novel in a somewhat problematic mindset and end it in a healthy one. Their arcs interweave and connect in ways to propel the other characters forward at the same time as they advance themselves. The book dives deep into Lena’s troubled romantic history and the upbringing of her children and how that still affects her in the present. Maureen’s past is presented in a way that makes it clear why she lies to Kalayla, no matter how ill-advised the decision is. Kalayla’s childhood illustrates why she behaves the way she does, making it easy to understand her journey throughout the novel. By the end of the novel, I was so invested in these characters that I was truly disappointed when I read the last page.

As the book is written from three different perspectives, I loved how we are able to see into all three characters’ heads and understand their thoughts and feelings about each event and discovery. It creates such a rich picture of these people and how they interact that I only wanted what was best for them and sympathized heavily when things didn’t go their way. Additionally, the writing is excellent. I particularly enjoyed Kalayla’s chapters, which I thought properly conveyed a young girl’s personality and thought process.

Unfortunately, there are two things I did not like. There are a few chapters in which the perspective briefly changes to a character who had previously never narrated, which I thought was unnecessary. It could have easily been avoided and made the reading experience smoother. Secondly, some chapters have timecards between them, and each time I encountered one, I thought that meant some time had passed since the last chapter. However, the next chapter usually picks up right where the last one left off. This was confusing for me and I thought it would have been clearer to omit the timecards entirely, as the passage of time came about naturally in the narration.

Overall, I rate Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the confusing timecards and perspective changes, they did not take away from my reading experience too much, and I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. It is exceptionally well-edited as I found few minor errors. There is profanity and allusion to sensitive topics such as rape, domestic abuse, and sexuality, as well as explicit discussions of racism, so I recommend this book to adult audiences who are open to delicate subjects such as these.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

That’s an interesting point about the timecards—I hadn’t noticed them as much. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel too. Thank you for a lovely review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This novel was well written and very interesting. I really liked the characters. Very good review
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Well, the perspective used in the book may be confusing for readers encountering it for the first time, but I loved it. Nice review!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”