Review of Next Stage

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Review of Next Stage

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Next Stage" by Tom Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We spend most of our teenage years fantasising about our future. About how cushy our jobs will be, how big our houses will be, and how shiny our cars and shoes will be. But we never even once take time to think about our retirements, even when we know that there is a great chance that we will live until we retire. In between the covers of Next Stage, Tom Wilson, the author of this book, addresses five critical questions that the elders face when they reach their retirement years. This book is insightful, educative, and so enjoyable.

The book opens up with chapter one aptly titled, “The Dawn of The New Stage.” In this chapter, the author explains that in the 1900s, our life expectancy was not more than age 50. He explains that since then, our life expectancy has drastically extended far more than that. We are now able to reach our 60s, 70s, and 80s. Before going any further, the author explains the stages of development of human beings from their infancy to their adulthood. In chapter 2, titled “Ten Stages That Define a Lifetime,” the author comes up with ten stages that he thinks all human beings go through. He bases all his thoughts on the research that has already been done in this field by people like Hindus, Erik Erikson, Arnold van Gennep, and few others.

Chapter 3 is titled “Reinventing Adulthood.” Here, the author addresses all the changes that a retired person has to experience. He, in great detail, shows what retirement in its entirety really means and entails. Under this chapter, he asks these questions while briefly explaining them: “what do you want to do with your time?” “will you have enough money?” “who do you want to live with?” “how do you stay healthy?” and “who are you going to be?” In the following chapters, he provides guidelines that will help readers address and answer the above questions.

Although I am far from retiring, I enjoyed reading about retirement. There is really more to this than what meets the eye. One does not wake up and decide to retire just like that. It takes proper planning and execution. Otherwise, you might end up like those old people who heavily rely on others to survive and end up being a burden to them. No one likes to be an inconvenience to others. So this book is very important and urgent. This book, as much as it was directed to the audience that is about to retire or at least thinking about retiring, even the likes of me who are far from it can greatly benefit from it.

The author was gentle. His tone was serene and calm. He started by explaining retirement to those who might have misguided meaning about it. What I have learned from this book is that people who retired are also human beings, just like me and you, who want to be independent and to contribute to their society just like everyone else. So the author made sure we understand this, and he did a great job.

I loved reading this book. The research on this topic was wonderful. The author did a great job. I could see that he knew what he was talking about and that the topic was close to his heart. He didn’t come across as preachy. The text was flowing, and he has referenced many studies to give his book authenticity.

Each chapter opened up with a quote from people like Mark Twain, Henry David Thoreau, Albert Schweitzer, and others. This managed to set up a perfect mood for each chapter because, as a reader, I felt motivated from the start. At the end of most chapters, there were activities that the author designed for the readers so they could challenge themselves by putting what he has theorised into practice.

The book had few errors that didn’t disturb my reading. Taking everything into consideration, I rate Next Step by Tom Wilson 4 out of 4 stars. The book wasn’t offensive in any way, so everyone from any religion around the world is accommodated. The author didn’t use any foul language.

Anyone who is about to retire or has already retired should buy this book. It will greatly benefit them in so many ways. But even if you are far from retiring, you can just get it to educate yourself about retirement, and maybe you can start now to plan how you want your retirement to be like, just like you planned and envisioned your adulthood when you were young.

Next Stage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I also enjoy it when quotes from famous authors are included at the beginning of the chapters.
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

I consumed my teenage years imagining what would be my life now. I didn't picture that I will bo broke.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I definitely daydreamed a lot when I was a teenager, but I think I never correctly guessed how my life would be now. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

smolbird wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 08:03 I definitely daydreamed a lot when I was a teenager, but I think I never correctly guessed how my life would be now. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks good to hear. Thank you for stopping by.
Hannah Fabro wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 18:36 I consumed my teenage years imagining what would be my life now. I didn't picture that I will bo broke.
No, one think negatively about their future. But I hope life changes for the better for you. Thank you for reading my review, and leaving a comment.
diana lowery wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 09:29 I also enjoy it when quotes from famous authors are included at the beginning of the chapters.
It makes the book more enjoyable, right?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a fascinating and very profound read :) I love such book and would love to check this one out. Thank you for a great review!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I have never given retirement much thought but after reading this review, I think I should start planning for those future years. Thanks for the review
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I personally found this to be an interesting read, though I am nowhere near retirement age. Thanks for the great review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Well, it is time to start planning a life according to this book :) Great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book looks like a eyeopener because retirement is the end point about which we need to first think so that we can give good shape to our life by choosing perfect career. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I probably don't plan for retirement nearly as much as I should! This will be an eye-opening read for the younger generations and help them to be prepared when they eventually reach retirement. The activities at the end of each chapter is a great addition to really help readers apply their new-found knowledge.
cerith
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by cerith »

Nice, it's thought-provoking in that I have to think of my future now, that what I'm doing in the present actually impacts is really important for the next years of the rest of my life. It's an age I'm unconvinced I'd live long for, it seems so far away, but just a blink and today was already yesterday and the future is now. Didn't really wanna think about that, gives me anxiety, but it's nice, once in a while, I guess, a shift in perspective.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Drianie wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 01:58 I probably don't plan for retirement nearly as much as I should! This will be an eye-opening read for the younger generations and help them to be prepared when they eventually reach retirement. The activities at the end of each chapter is a great addition to really help readers apply their new-found knowledge.
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment, much appreciated, Drianie. :tiphat:
sanjus wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 13:05 This book looks like a eyeopener because retirement is the end point about which we need to first think so that we can give good shape to our life by choosing perfect career. Thanks for your honest review.
It really is, hey. You are welcome. And thanks for stopping by.
TheMazeRunner wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 05:48 Well, it is time to start planning a life according to this book :) Great review!
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your kind words.
Black Jewel wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:06 I personally found this to be an interesting read, though I am nowhere near retirement age. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 15:48 I have never given retirement much thought but after reading this review, I think I should start planning for those future years. Thanks for the review
Yes, there is no better time than to start now! You are welcome. I appreciate your time.
Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:03 Sounds like a fascinating and very profound read :) I love such book and would love to check this one out. Thank you for a great review!
Please do check it and share your thoughts after that. Thank you very much.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

This book covers a topic that is quite interesting. I absolutely loved the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”