Review of Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review of Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France" by Michael C. Higgins, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael C. Higgins is a travel, wine, and food lover who introduces the reader to many wineries and restaurants in the Bordeaux wine regions in Aquitaine, France in Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France. After introducing the city of Bordeaux, Higgins takes the reader north of the city to the Médoc. Then to the east of the city to explore Graves. And then goes south to Saint-Émilion, Fronsac, and Pomerol. He reviews the different tours and activities at gorgeous wineries, as well as amazing restaurants, beautiful hotels and B&Bs, and quaint villages.

I love a good travel book, and I found this one to be an enjoyable read and very useful and educational. Besides wineries and restaurants, Higgins included a variety of activities, like museums and river cruises. He also pointed out wineries that are welcoming to children by providing grape juice at tastings and fun tours. There is also an educational element in his reviews. I learned a lot about French wines and what makes them different from each other and from other countries, so this book is very useful if you want to learn more the wines you like and to help you find new ones to try.

I really liked the enthusiastic writing style. Higgins’ love of wine and food comes through very clearly. His enthusiasm, humor, and the way he sometimes asks the reader questions made it a very engaging read. I also liked that he included some personal stories about his visits to the places in the book.

Th beautiful photographs on every page, all taken by Higgins, were my favorite thing about this book. There were a variety of pictures, including landscapes, cities and villages, interiors of various locations, and vineyards. I loved the stunning landscapes. They were enough to make me want to go to Bordeaux just to see those views in person.

The thing I liked the least about this book was that Higgins sometimes repeated information. I can see how this is useful for readers that are skipping around to different parts of the book or are only reading a part of it at a time and then don’t come back to it for a few days. However, it was a bit annoying when reading it straight through.

I also didn’t like the placement of the list of definitions. They are in an odd location at the back of the book among pages with more information about the author and information about the best of wine tourism awards and many other things, so the definitions were lost among them. It would be better if they were at the beginning of the book or with the index that is right after the main text.

This book also needs another round of proofreading. I found more than ten errors and most of them were misspellings. This does force me to take away a star, so my final rating for Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France is 3 out of 4 stars.

To be completely honest, France has never been high on my list of places to travel to, but reading this book has moved it higher up the list. If you have any interest in France or food and wine, then I definitely recommend reading this book.

Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also read the book and I enjoyed it very much. It makes want to hop on a place to see a castle and discover a good wine. Great review!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Great review! It’s disappointing to find so many errors, but at least you’re helping the author by doing so. I would love to go to France!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love to travel, and I enjoy reading books about other places. I do enjoy some wines, but the red ones are my least favorite. I think I would appreciate this book. Great review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I don't drink, but I love reading about places in other countries. I'd love to see those beautiful pictures, too. Thank you for the detailed review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:11 I also read the book and I enjoyed it very much. It makes want to hop on a place to see a castle and discover a good wine. Great review!
I felt the same. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Ldpuff wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 12:00 Great review! It’s disappointing to find so many errors, but at least you’re helping the author by doing so. I would love to go to France!
smolbird wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 09:35 I don't drink, but I love reading about places in other countries. I'd love to see those beautiful pictures, too. Thank you for the detailed review!
Prisallen wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 07:39 I love to travel, and I enjoy reading books about other places. I do enjoy some wines, but the red ones are my least favorite. I think I would appreciate this book. Great review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

Reading books that'll bring us to different places is amazing. Plus the fact that it also contains drinks. Perfect match.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I've always dreamed of travelling across Europe, and Bordeaux looks like a lovely place to visit. So, I am very interested in this book!

Thank you for an excellent review!
🇨🇵 :wine: :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I love when a travel book presents a destination in the best way. Then it seems to the reader that he himself is present. Thanks for the objective review.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Hannah Fabro wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 01:38 Reading books that'll bring us to different places is amazing. Plus the fact that it also contains drinks. Perfect match.
Josephe-Anne wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 00:05 I've always dreamed of travelling across Europe, and Bordeaux looks like a lovely place to visit. So, I am very interested in this book!

Thank you for an excellent review!
🇨🇵 :wine: :tiphat:
markodim721 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:45 I love when a travel book presents a destination in the best way. Then it seems to the reader that he himself is present. Thanks for the objective review.
Joy Nyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-nyathi.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Joy Nyathi »

Great review. It also made me want to visit France. The spelling errors were a surprise to me too considering how much time went into compiling the book.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Joy Nyathi wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 12:05 Great review. It also made me want to visit France. The spelling errors were a surprise to me too considering how much time went into compiling the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”