Review of Island Games

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Review of Island Games

Post by Amanda Dobson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ryan and Matthew are best friends; that is all they know. With no memory, they have to wonder why they are on a sandy beach on a deserted Island. All they know is that it is just the two of them. Working together to face one challenge, danger and mystery after another, both Matthew and Ryan face an even more significant problem. How did they get on this Island, and why? As they move through the Island, various landscapes, the only constant for the boys is a strange wake-up call each morning and the ever-present volcano in the island's center. Each challenge they face, they quickly learn, was designed to get the boys to work together to succeed. When one tries to on their own, they find there are consequences, some of which were almost fatal. After completing each challenge, the boys received rewards with what they need to survive. Matthew and Ryan learn about the actual value of trust, teamwork, and trust in one's self. Together, the boys use each other’s strengths and smarts to stay alive in the Island Games.

The way the story plot played out was very engaging to the reader. The two main characters Matthew and Ryan, learned and grew both as individuals and as a team. I liked how the boys could recognize their faults and failings and their strengths as the adventure progressed. Ryan and Matthew showed how best friends genuinely act. They don’t always get along, but they are always there for each other. Although I didn’t understand the recurring dreams, the boys had it, give the illusions that there was more going on than what either boy could know, when they succeeded in a challenge and received their rewards with supplies that they needed, giving the idea that the boys were unwilling to part in some game. The ending was well thought through, leaving off a cliffhanger of what to expect next, giving the reader an evident knowledge that there will be a sequel to this book.

I found the book could be a little jumpy from one scene to another, through the author prevented some of these instances by starting a new chapter. Also, I wouldn’t say I liked that they never found out what was making their daily wake-up call. As the book progressed, some challenges that they faced became repetitive in the theme of what they were facing, but there was still an element of challenge in the new surroundings. Matthew and Ryan also showed typical boy behaviour in how they conversed with each other, but sometimes I wondered why they were on that Island.

I would rate Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer a 4 out of 4. I give this rating is because you are a part of the adventure. It is also an excellent book for all young adults and adults who like an adventure book without perverse language or sexuality. I also give this rating because it was exceptionally edited, with only a couple of minor typos of words needed correction.
I would recommend this book to all young adults. Not only is it a great adventure novel of two young boys, but I consider it a tremendous inspirational book as well. That is because the author, Caleb J. Boyer, is a young adult himself. This book gives inspiration that no matter your age, you can do amazing things; you need to have trust and faith in yourself. Caleb J. Boyer created a life lesson for his readers by reiterating their friendship through their trials, strengthening the relationship. Teamwork is a more successful endeavour when everyone is involved and has their say included.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems wonderful. The fact that it teaches one the importance of teamwork makes it so much more interesting and inspiring. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I like adventure books and the fact that this book is also inspirational fascinates me to give this book a try. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I, too, was impressed that such a young boy could have written this book. Thank you for reminding me of the time when I reviewed this book.
Amanda Dobson

Post by Amanda Dobson »

diana lowery wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 15:46 I, too, was impressed that such a young boy could have written this book. Thank you for reminding me of the time when I reviewed this book.
I am glad to have give you some fond memories
Amanda Dobson

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 10:41 This book seems wonderful. The fact that it teaches one the importance of teamwork makes it so much more interesting and inspiring. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
I know I love books for young people that teaches them something.
Amanda Dobson

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 01:58 I like adventure books and the fact that this book is also inspirational fascinates me to give this book a try. Thanks for the wonderful review.
No problem I am glad you liked the review.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

Great review. I love books that can help me build good qualities.
Amanda Dobson

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Kim Jek wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 06:11 Great review. I love books that can help me build good qualities.
I know I love those kind of books too!
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Great and thorough analysis of the book. Im impressed. How a very young writer could write such a wonderful book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”