Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler is an exceptional narration of his experience while running the "Marathon des Sables" somewhere in the Sahara. It was a tedious and tasking activity. The race, which took several days to complete, left imprints on the author's mind. He thought his experience noteworthy and decided to write down the happenings that surrounded this great adventure.

This book highlights the importance of perseverance in difficult situations. It also highlighted the power of positive thinking, mental strength, and setting breathtaking but realistic goals.

On positive aspects, Marcel did an excellent job pointing out the roles played by his family and friends in ensuring his survival and victory. This was first seen by his wife Monika, who prompted him into achieving his dream, then the relationship he created with his tent mates Birgit, Markus, Ricarda, Jens, and Simon. He explicitly detailed all that went on the track, ensuring the reader flows at his pace. Including the "notes on running" was like icing on the cake, where the readers could pick out nuggets of inspiration and motivation, irrespective of their fields of endeavor. "Picture moments" brought out the whole imagined scenes, giving the narration a graphic representation. Beyond the tales of the race, the author went ahead to give the reader a glimpse of his personality, as could be seen in his preference for Jazz.

I do not find any negative aspects in Running the Sahara, as the flow was maintained correctly. I was personally fascinated by the fact that someone would enjoy racing in such a dry place. Several factors fascinated me in this book.

With that, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally edited with no errors. The author placed value on admiring nature while in the desert, as he took it as a time to discover himself, recount things that are most valuable in life, and create bonds of friendship. He is proof that living healthy pays off, and one can achieve their dreams irrespective of their age.

I highly recommend this book to people who are working on achieving a specific goal. The outlined preparations, which were not void of any essential detail, could motivate you to put your necessary tools to work and remain optimistic while working on the goal. However, readers who are not fans of non-fiction books may not find this piece interesting.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book is a valuable testament to the ultra-marathon but I don’t like the frequent change of focus of the story.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite inspiring. Thanks for your brilliant review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”