Review of My Only Sunshine

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review of My Only Sunshine

Post by Gemjay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Only Sunshine" by Lou Dischler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler is a fictional book about family and the impact of its reputation and legacy. The book presents the reader with an intriguing character, Charlie Boone. Charlie Boone is a nine-year-old boy from Red Church, Louisiana. Charlie also has a brother named Jute. They both live with their grandparents who cater to them. According to their grandparents, their mother had been blown to heaven by a hurricane and their dad was in prison for a robbery. Charlie exerts effort in school despite the teacher having little faith in him and facing bullies. He stands up for himself and takes care of his younger brother, Jute. His uncle Dan arrives home with his girlfriend, Lorna. This is after a recent jailbreak happened. They start selling fake Bibles. What is Charlie's fate? Does he end up in prison or as a robber just like his father or is the saying an apple never falls far away from the tree true?

I enjoyed reading this book. One of the reasons I enjoyed reading this book is the narration of the story through the mind of a child. Their way of thinking is so childish and funny. The story is too emotional as I imagined growing up as Charlie did. Charlie experiences a dysfunctional childhood. For instance, Charlie and his younger brother Jute are raised by their grandparents. The author does a great job of portraying their childhood which is a reality for some children. This makes everything so relatable. The characters have been well developed and are independent of each other. For instance, Dan and Lorna are very entertaining characters and their experiences are thrilling and brought life into the book.

I also loved that the author provided closure to the issue of Charlie's mother. The reader is not left hanging and confused as to what happened to her. Was she blown by a hurricane or was she eaten by leeches? Read to find out and satisfy your curiosity. I also loved the fact that the book was professionally well-edited and I did not encounter any errors. It was easy to read through the story and the flow is smooth. I did not dislike any aspect of the book. The book is amazing and the plot is unique and captivating.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves such a rating because the story is unique and captivating. The author does an excellent job of character development. The book has been professionally edited with no errors at all. There is no reason worth deducting a star. This book is worth the reader's time just give it a try!

I would recommend this book to a mature audience due to the use of profanity in the book. I would also recommend the book to a mature audience the enjoys a captivating fictional book with some action. If you fit in the aforementioned categories this is the right book for you. Be prepared to be engrossed in this amazing fictional book and get a perspective on being born in a dysfunctional family with a ruined reputation.

My Only Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like an interesting storyline. I wonder what happened to Charlie. I love that he worked hard in school and took care of little Jute despite their challenges.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

63tty wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 20:09 This seems like an interesting storyline. I wonder what happened to Charlie. I love that he worked hard in school and took care of little Jute despite their challenges.
thank you for reading and the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”