Review of How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Review of How To Be Successful

Post by Unsullied »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm an ardent fan of Max Ehrmann's famous poem, the Desiderata. I'm particularly fond of the line that goes,"listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant: they too have their story." I believe that the best way to motivate and inspire others is to share our stories, both the nice ones and the horrible ones. This book, How To Be Successful: Think Like A Leader by M. Curtis McCoy, embodies this spirit of the Desiderata.

McCoy's self-help book is a little different from what we are used to. Instead of being the solitude voice, he incorporates a number of people who have lived life and have stories to tell. The book has interviews and conversations with different people, done by the author. He asks the interviewees various questions in a view to understand what made them who they are. They talk about the challenges they face, the things that motivate them and the things they believe in. The author also discusses some various issues in between the interviews. He takes on issues such as attitude, delayed gratification, winning habits and self-confidence.

I absolutely loved this book. There is no better person to inspire anyone that one who has traveled to hell and back. Fighting a brain tumor and diabetes to become a successful entrepreneur, leader and business development expert is no mean fete. You can feel the openness of the author in every word and sentence that you read in the book. The interview I enjoyed most was that of the Author. You can feel what the author feels as you go through that journey with him. I loved that she also gave her mother a voice in the book. I enjoyed the questions on the interviewees' favorite books. I though of it as not just selfless from the author, but also very beneficial to the readers.

I also got to learn a lot of life lessons in the book, real applicable lessons. I have always thought of myself as having mastered the art of delayed gratification and was glad to see the author lay some emphasis on that. The language used was simple and easy to comprehend. The book was also professionally edited as I encountered very few errors. I therefore give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to anyone that's struggling with their journey of life, to anyone who needs a reason to get out of bed in the morning and go to work and to anyone that needs an uplifting of their spirits and that extra push to face the day's challenges. This book was truly worth my time and I should confess that I really needed it.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I love this review. Your introduction is amazing! I've learnt a lot from your review. Keep it up ❤️
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Hiruni Hansika wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 06:06 I love this review. Your introduction is amazing! I've learnt a lot from your review. Keep it up ❤️
Thank you Hiruni.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The secret to success is with the ones who are successful and this book brings it to the readers. These interviews sound wonderfully informative. Loved the line,
There is no better person to inspire anyone that one who has traveled to hell and back.
Thank you for a wonderful review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This is an amazing book. I too have reviewed it and the experiences that the author and interviewees share with their readers explain that it is never too late to be successful and there is no 'one' definition of success. Thanks for your great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I just read this book recently, and I love your opening review.
The contents are very inspirational indeed.
The author did not let his illness define him.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 13:55 This is an amazing book. I too have reviewed it and the experiences that the author and interviewees share with their readers explain that it is never too late to be successful and there is no 'one' definition of success. Thanks for your great review.
    Thanks for your comment Ruchi
    Unsullied
    Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 04:33 I just read this book recently, and I love your opening review.
    The contents are very inspirational indeed.
    The author did not let his illness define him.
    Thanks for passing by, Jane. I agree that the book was a true inspiration.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”